New tangynican 20 long!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

P2k12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybuddy I'm new. So I just started my tank up again. It's a twenty gallon long tank. Just finished its cycle. It has a 100g aqua clear filter as well as a 20gallon sponge filter (starting up a fry tank) temp in tank is 85 ph 8.7 waters ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 currently stocked with 1x bushardi 1x busheri 1x synodonus high fin catfish 1x cuadopunctatus (sorry spelling might be off) x3 black calvas now I want to breed the black calvas and the bushardi but need some help on sexing them I will put up a video on YouTube later today of the tank

Ok well guess no one can help me out then pics are up under 20 gallon tang tank

I don't think your tank is big enough. That maybe the reason nobody is answering this thread question. I looked at the video but I'm not very good at sexing fish. :)

A 20 gallon for tangs is just fine as long as u don't over stock most tangs don't get that big 1.5 in max for the ones in my tank I will be taking out the black calvus once I get a pair and I only want a pair of bushardi the hifin will eventually get to big for that tank so then I will dump him in my 55g with mamuba I mean the shell dwellers I have coming only get 5cm

And if I am wrong and I can be because I am human don't you think they could give me advice and say it? New to the forums and not really liking the feedback

P2k12 said:
And if I am wrong and I can be because I am human don't you think they could give me advice and say it? New to the forums and not really liking the feedback

There isn't a whole lot of people that keep lake tanganyika Cichlids here. Can you upload photos of the fish? The video was really hard to see imo. Anyways Give it time someone will chime in I'm sure Anyways Give it time someone will chime in I'm sure

Andrew McFadden said:
There isn't a whole lot of people that keep lake tanganyika Cichlids here. Can you upload photos of the fish? The video was really hard to see imo. Anyways Give it time someone will chime in I'm sure Anyways Give it time someone will chime in I'm sure

They are on there on my profile

Howdy.

A 20 gallon long is fine for a mated pair of any of the small to mid-sized Neolamprologus species, such as your brichardi, buescheri, or caudopunk, or for a mated pair of Julidochromis. These are substrate spawners that form solid breeding pairs, unlike Lake Malawi mbuna which need harems for successful breeding. It will also work for a small group of 6 or 8 shell-dwelling cichlids, such as multies. Larger Neolamprologus species, such as N. tretocephalus, N. sexfasciatus and N. tetracanthus (which all can exceed 6") need a 40 breeder or larger for a pair. I'd also recommend a 40 breeder for a pair of calvus. One thing to remember if ya want to breed the N. brichardi, they form community breeding groups. As fry mature, the older juvies stick around and help the parents raise the next batch of young. My last breeding pair of brichardi and their offspring had an entire 55 gallon tank to themselves.

A 20 L is too small for an extended community of Tangs. Ya really need to invest in a 55 gallon tank or larger. The calvus can potentially reach 6", and 4 1/2" to 5" is pretty much a given. Not sure which species yer referring to as a highfin synodontis, but I suspect its either S. euptera or S. alberti . Both can reach 8" and will become too large for that tank, as well.

I watched the video, but there's a coupla issues with the request to determine sexes. First, the fish ya currently have look too small to sex, even by venting. Second, the species you have do not show extreme sexual dimorphism. There is little visible difference between the sexes, if any. In order to successfully determine the sex, you'll need to vent the fish (turn 'em over and look at their nether regions).

WYite

Wyomingite said:
Howdy.

A 20 gallon long is fine for a mated pair of any of the small to mid-sized Neolamprologus species, such as your brichardi, buescheri, or caudopunk, or for a mated pair of Julidochromis. These are substrate spawners that form solid breeding pairs, unlike Lake Malawi mbuna which need harems for successful breeding. It will also work for a small group of 6 or 8 shell-dwelling cichlids, such as multies. Larger Neolamprologus species, such as N. tretocephalus, N. sexfasciatus and N. tetracanthus (which all can exceed 6") need a 40 breeder or larger for a pair. I'd also recommend a 40 breeder for a pair of calvus. One thing to remember if ya want to breed the N. brichardi, they form community breeding groups. As fry mature, the older juvies stick around and help the parents raise the next batch of young. My last breeding pair of brichardi and their offspring had an entire 55 gallon tank to themselves.

A 20 L is too small for an extended community of Tangs. Ya really need to invest in a 55 gallon tank or larger. The calvus can potentially reach 6", and 4 1/2" to 5" is pretty much a given. Not sure which species yer referring to as a highfin synodontis, but I suspect its either S. euptera or S. alberti . Both can reach 8" and will become too large for that tank, as well.

I watched the video, but there's a coupla issues with the request to determine sexes. First, the fish ya currently have look too small to sex, even by venting. Second, the species you have do not show extreme sexual dimorphism. There is little visible difference between the sexes, if any. In order to successfully determine the sex, you'll need to vent the fish (turn 'em over and look at their nether regions).

WYite

Omg thank you for the info!!!! Now here comes another question what about breeding lamprologus ocellatus and the birchardi in the same 20g tank? Is it possible or will the aggression be way to large?

I wouldn't. Remember the 55 I mentioned that my brichardi colony was in? It started out with a pair of Neolamprologus brichardi, six Telmatochromis brichardi and a Tropheus duboisi a gal gave me after it beat up on her angelfish. Once the N. brichardis matured and started spawning, I never got another juvie from the Telmatochromis brichardi while they were in that tank, and the the duboisi was moved after a coupla days 'cuz the N. brichardi kept it confined to one corner of the tank. The brichardis probly wouldn't kill the occies outright, but they could make 'em miserable.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom