New tank ~ 1.5 months old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonez

Aquarium Advice Regular
24 gal sw, hoping to go reef!!!

Attachments

• img_0085_151.jpg
    img_0085_151.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 88
  • img_0087_186.jpg
    img_0087_186.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 110
  • img_0088_922.jpg
    img_0088_922.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 80
  • img_0089_147.jpg
    img_0089_147.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 104
looks great! now I have never heard of a Striated Frogfish can you give me any info? also out of curriousity what size tank? it looks like a 24gall cube or somthing...
anyways looks great!

blazeyreef said:
looks great! now I have never heard of a Striated Frogfish can you give me any info? also out of curriousity what size tank? it looks like a 24gall cube or somthing...
anyways looks great!

Yeah, it's a 24gal cube... hrmm, it's like a hairy frogfish with less hair :p hehe

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that fish is really not appropriate for your tank. it will get quite large, quite fast. The following is from wet web media

Antennarius hispidus (Bloch & Schneider 1801), the Hairy or Shaggy Anglerfish. Indo-Pacific; particularly Malaysia, Indonesia. To eight inches in length. Coastal bays near camouflaging sponges. Occur in oranges, tans, yellows, and apparently black. N. Sulawesi images. You can tell this species apart from the similar A. striatus by its pom-pom like esca.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anglerfishes.htm

All other places I looked, suggested a 70 gallon as a minimum tank size.

Hara said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that fish is really not appropriate for your tank. it will get quite large, quite fast. The following is from wet web media

Antennarius hispidus (Bloch & Schneider 1801), the Hairy or Shaggy Anglerfish. Indo-Pacific; particularly Malaysia, Indonesia. To eight inches in length. Coastal bays near camouflaging sponges. Occur in oranges, tans, yellows, and apparently black. N. Sulawesi images. You can tell this species apart from the similar A. striatus by its pom-pom like esca.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anglerfishes.htm

All other places I looked, suggested a 70 gallon as a minimum tank size.

Bah! That sucks...I'll have to give him back when he gets a little larger...I enjoy his company in my tank though :(

He was in a 2 gallon cube sectional at the LFS, I know thats just how they keep carnivorous fish, but I assumed I'd be giving him a better home. Oh well - maybe it was an impulse buy and I need to think realistically... thank you for the advice, I'll give him back to the LFS - hopefully they'll credit me so I can get some blemmy's or gobi.

Thanks again!

-derrick

Bonez said:
maybe it was an impulse buy and I need to think realistically
That's a good idea. I have to resist buying fish from my LFS, until I can do some research or ask the folks here. If I would have done that, I would not have had a royal gramma only last 1 day, poor little guy.

roka64 said:
Bonez said:
maybe it was an impulse buy and I need to think realistically
That's a good idea. I have to resist buying fish from my LFS, until I can do some research or ask the folks here. If I would have done that, I would not have had a royal gramma only last 1 day, poor little guy.

Eeeesh...sorry to hear that :(

It's hard giving up fish that look like this though, it'll be a sad day indeed
:(

Do LFS that you buy the livestock from usually give you credit? or do they just take it from you lol? kinda always wondered that

Back
Top Bottom