new tank and sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to be setting up a new tank thats 72 x 24 and 25 inches tall
with a 45g sump do these drawings make sense or should i change things thanks Jester

img_832213_0_f3c741f7c8d298ab89ae2566a837ac38.jpg

img_832213_1_9a75f17d5fd1556cf0a0224f446aa557.jpg

I have three comments.

1. Where are you going to send the output from your skimmer? You'd probably want to empty into the second section. If it outputs into the first there is a chance some of that water which might go thorough the skimmer twice unncessarily.

2. By funnelling both drains into the same pipe before it gets into the sump you are likely to slow down the flow into the sump. Why don't you run both hoses into the sump seperately?

3. One of the reasons for baffles is to keep micro bubbles from flowing into the return section where they can be sent back into the tank. Your baffle setup may not prevent this. In the current setup there doesn't seem to be a need for the two smaller baffles. The bubbles are going to flow right over the top of the second section and into the return area. What you want to do is have three baffles seperating the return section from the others. Each baffle should be the same size and the middle of the three should be raised about an inch off the tank bottom to allow the water fo flow under it. The water should flow over the first, under the second and over the third baffle.

Here is a link to some info and designs:

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Other than that the design looks good. Are you going to put anything in the second section, LR/LS, or anything?

Splitting the output of the pump is not a good idea. Your best bet is to drain in one tube and return in a second tube. You have too many potential issues, with backing up on one end or the other if you have multiple inputs or joined inputs.

thanks for the replys i fixed the baffels and the drain in the pic above.So for the return your saying i should only have 1 return pipe will that be enough for this size of a tank i only have a 60g now so i dont know much about tanks this big.as for the skimmer i thought it would just return in the section it is in what other option are there for the skimmer i have a wet dry now and the skimmer is built in it and it is just in its own section so i thouhgt it would be the same
also would u guys recommend a internal or external pump?
thanks again for all the help
Jester

oh the tank comes with 2 overflows with 2 holes in each for drains and returns

this is the place where im going to get the tank and sump from most likely

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=2

To be honest, I have one return pump returning water to two return hoses just as you have in your diagram. I don't, have not, and do not expect to have any problems (knocking on wood, in fact now banging on wood). I don't see that as a problem at all. I think theotheragentm suggests having two return pumps, one for each return hose. I'll let him explain further or clarify. You should either create another small section in the sump for the water to drain into before it gets to the skimmer section and have the skimmer draw water out of this section, or you can run a hose/pipe for the skimmer output to empty the skimmed water into the second section. You don't want the skimmer to draw water out of and return water into the same section as you likely will end up re-skimming some of it unnecessarily.

To save space I have an internal pump. The type you get is your choice. Below are links to two articles. One speaks to submersible pumps and the other addresses external. You should find the information you need here.

http://wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Powerhead_test/powerhead_comp.htm

http://wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i2/External_Pumps/External_Pumps.htm

I think i am going to go with the two returns then
Im gonna go to the lfs tommarow so i will look at the skimmers to get a better idea of how they can pump out the water to then next section of the sump thanks for your replys very helpful

so i can leave the intake from the skimmer just open in the first section of the sump correct like this

img_832445_0_280f24baf461f1bea45bbbc961309264.jpg

The first baffle (one dividing the first chamber from the second) and the second baffle should be the same height. The pipe from the skimmer should run straight out and over the first baffle then down into the second chamber. You don't want run the water up and over. Raise the skimmer if you have to. Other than that this would work.

Back
Top Bottom