New tank, didn't cycle - HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mockingjay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got a new fish tank. Let me first say that I was stupid and I didn't cycle the tank....I'm realizing that was a mistake now, so please don't make me feel worse than I already do...

I have 3 male guppies and 1 African Dwarf Frog in the tank.

Everything seemed fine at first, now 2 of them are sitting back at the top of the tank and they didn't eat this morning and the other one looks like he is dying...he was resting in the plant and got stuck to the filter once :(

I've had the tank for 3 days now. I've done 2, 10% water changes. I did condition the water before adding it. It got cloudy on the second day and is still a wee bit murky but not too bad.

More about the tank-
Its 5 gallons
gravel, a few artificial plants, 1 ornament and 1 airstone
I have a heater and LED light and a thermometer. Temp is staying at a steady 79 degrees.

What do I do now??? I know I need to test the water, but I can't do that until this evening or tomorrow (get strips or take it to the pet store to get tested).
Should I do a big water change to see if that helps? Should I vacuum the gravel?
I don't want the fish to die, but I am at a loss as to what to do. Please help me. Thank you.

If do 2x 40% water change daily, for three days and the. Start to ease back, do you have a test kit?

Thank you. I just did about a 50% water change.

I don't have a test kit yet, but I am purchasing one this evening, or tomorrow morning at the latest. I feel so bad :nono:

Will do.

This sounds stupid, but what am I looking for when I do the test?

0 ammonia 0 nitrite, and under 40 nitrate. You probably don't have those levels yet as your tank is cycling, no questions are dumb. Glad to help

If these fish don't making it (I am praying they do!) how long should I wait before adding more? When the levels or good or should I let it run for a lot longer?

Wait for the levels to achieve what I said, you will get high nitrates which you will need to remove by water changes.

Well the 1 fish that wasn't doing so hot this morning died :(

Good news though, since the water change the other 2 have perked up and are swimming around happily again and they even ate a bit. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for all the help.

That's bittersweet, do another 40% in a hour or so. I'm going to guess the ammonia is a little high, as well as the nitrites.

I will do that! Since I can't get the exact gallon amount that I am re adding to the tank, is it possible to over do it on the tank conditioner? I am eyeballing it to the best of my ability, but better too much than too little right?

Just jumping in to add that you should NOT replace any filter media while your tank is cycling. The instructions probably tell you to swap media every month- they are wrong. :)

Just jumping in to add that you should NOT replace any filter media while your tank is cycling. The instructions probably tell you to swap media every month- they are wrong. :)

Thanks! That is good to know :) How long should I wait before I change it?

I had fish years and years ago, but I feel like I am learning everything all over again!

Don't change the pads unless they are falling apart and have holes and before you chunk them buy new ones and squeeze them in the front of the old ones for a few weeks to a month

To clean the pads just swish them in old tank water about once a month. This will preserve the beneficial bacteria. Don't rinse them under tap water because that will kill the bacteria as well

Don't change the pads unless they are falling apart and have holes and before you chunk them buy new ones and squeeze them in the front of the old ones for a few weeks to a month

To clean the pads just swish them in old tank water about once a month. This will preserve the beneficial bacteria. Don't rinse them under tap water because that will kill the bacteria as well

Eh, I wouldn't rinse any media in tap water from a new tank, but when I open up my canisters they go straight to the sink. Tap water isn't going to nuke your whole bio filter on contact. I mean, I'm not recommending that everyone start rinsing everything in tap water, but it is not going to result in cycling from scratch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Well, another guppy has died :( I did do the 2nd water change. I ordered the API Master Test Kit you suggested on Amazon Prime and it gets here tomorrow. I feel so bad.

Back
Top Bottom