New tank fish poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackandwhite

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi fish keepers

I am making plans for my first fish tank and need advice on fish compatibility.

Ideally I'd like to have 3-4 anglefish, 6-8 colorful schooling fish.

The problem I am facing is finding a type of schooling fish that would be compatible with angelfish and have the right look and color.

My best bet seems to be either Blue Rams (which seem to be very difficult to keep) or a cool set of Danios (which I'm not certain are compatible with angelfish).

What would you guys say is the better choice? And if neither what is your suggestion.

If you have angelfish what else do you keep in a tank with them?

How big is your tank? Hopefully at least a 36g bowfront if you want that many angels. If you're looking for colorful schoolers, Cardinal Tetras are common tankmates for Angels. Another option (if your tank is at least 50g) would be any of the non-dwarf Rainbowfish.

Blue rams are not schooling fish, I think tetras, danios, and maybe rasboras are good

Reactions: HN1
How big is your tank? Hopefully at least a 36g bowfront if you want that many angels. If you're looking for colorful schoolers, Cardinal Tetras are common tankmates for Angels. Another option (if your tank is at least 50g) would be any of the non-dwarf Rainbowfish.

Cardinal tetras are beautiful fish. Thanks for the hint. But it seems they only grow to be 1.25 inches. Wouldn't they be in danger of becoming angel food? Neon tetra grow to be the same size and I've been told the angelfish eat neons which is why I discounted them.

Cardinal tetras get a bit bigger than Neons, so they should be safe. I'd add the cardinals first just to be safe and let the angel grow up with them though.

Reactions: HN1
I don't have a tank yet. I'm just trying to plan properly before I start burying stuff. I've been considering a 36 gallon tank but I'm beginning to realize that it would be too small for all the plans that I have so I'm looking at 50-60 gallon tanks as well.

serapae tetras also get a bit bigger than neons and have a nice orange pop.
EDIT: some more bigger tetras

Congo Tetras
emperor tetras
black/red phantom
buenos aires
red eye
bleeding heart
black neons
columbian tetras

There are a number of Rasboras and "non-biting" Tetras that can be mixed with the Angels. Scissortails, Brilliants, Larger harlequins for Rasboras come to mind as well as Penguins, Lemons, Serpaes, Black Neons, Silvertips, Emperor, larger Cardinals, H & T Lites, Rummy nose, to name a few for the Tetras.
As mentioned, the size of the tank and the order you put the fish in will determine what you can have in there.

Hope this helps.

I have a school of 8 neon dwarf rainbows (5f 3m)- the females aren't as brightly colored, but they're pretty cool little fish. Very iridescent and shimmer a blue/purple when under the light. They max at about 2 or 3 inches and they school really well. I've had mine about 3 months and they come to the front and beg for food :)

Back
Top Bottom