new tank-fishless cycle or bio-spira?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amazonwoman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting up a 30 gallon and I am of course anxious to get things going quickly. I have decided the "few hardy fish method" is not for me-I couldn't stand to watch them swim around in water I know is toxic to them-so I was wondering which would you recommend- using ammonia and cycling the tank without fish or getting bio-spira-I have read about both and I have heard that the bio-spira leads to pretty unstable levels in the future and I am nervous about playing around with a whole tank full of fish-and by the way-how expensive is bio-spira? As for the ammonia method-I've readabout it and I think I can do it but I am impatient to get some fish! So I guess I'm asking about anyone's experience with either methods-are there other drawbacks that you know of?

Bio-spira ois about 7bucks, plus 6 for shipping. I had the site, but I can't look it up right now.

Of course if you have it in a LFS then it may, or may not be cheaper.

and it has to be kept cold.

If you can get a hold of Bio-Spira I strongly suggest it. I've used it a coupla times with great success. Its so nice not to have to wait AND not to subject the fish to ammonia and nitrites. I have never had a problem with unstable levels after using it; where did you hear that? Thats a new one for me and I'd like to investigate it further. I've also done fishless cycling successfully. I prefer Bio-Spira tho; patience is not my virtue *grin*

Its not cheap, (I think I paid around $10 for 3 ounces) but well worth it. And I have yet to experience ANY drawbacks.

2 comments tho: Bio-Spira is the ONLY product on the market with the correct bacteria, the other products don't work half as well. Also keep a close eye on your water parameters initially. It works wonders, but if it gets warm the bacteria die and it won't work at all. Of course it will be refrigerated when you get it, but one never knows if its been exposed to heat during shipping, so best to keep an eye on things.

Wow-that was quick. I have another question. Do I HAVE to add a whole tank of fich with the bio-spira or can I start out with a few just to make sure everything goes smoothly then add more fish and more bio-spira after awhile?
And I'm not sure on which exact site I found the info about bio-spira leading to unstable levals in the long-run-I know that the only stuff I take into consideration is written by people with a lot of experience- I also saw it in several places-not just once. It sounded strange to me too though when I first heard it and noone ever explained eaxactly why or how the levels (ammonia and nitrate) were unstable.
OK-I've convinced myself-I'm gonna find some bio-spira. :D

You could go either way. Do keep in mind tho, Bio-Spira is made to deal with rising levels of ammonia and nitrites, not established levels. It will help reduce em in those cases, just won't be as effective (maybe thats the prob people were talking about?). If the tank is free of ammonia and nitrites when you decide to add more fish, it shouldn't be a problem, although of course you'll want to keep a close eye on water parameters just in case.

I used it to cycle a 55g when I moved my guys into it; combined with the bio-wheel from the 25g it was highly effective and I never saw a spot of ammonia or nitrites. The fish went in 5 minutes after the Bio-Spira (5 angelfish, 3 clown loaches and a plec). I also used it when I fishless cycled my 10g. After a week I was getting ammonia readings of 0 after 12 hrs, but I had sky high nitrites and it had stalled the cycle. I added the Bio-Spira, let it set for 24 hrs since there was already nitrogenous waste in the tank, did a 75% water change to reduce the nitrite levels even more and added fish. Haven't seen ammonia or nitrites since.

If you can't find it locally, let us know. Bernie, a lfs owner, an occasional poster on here and a mod over at fishgeeks, ships it all over the country at a very reasonable cost.

Great price!

I paid $17 plus tax for 3 oz. Of course the only place I could find it in town was a lfs whose prices were way too high on everything else too. I just felt more comfortable buying it locally rather than trusting on the shipper to keep it cool. I should be using it later this week and will let you know how it goes.

From what I have heard by everyone here and the Marineland website, you want to start with your full load of fish. Otherwise, you won't be providing enough food (ammonia) for the bacteria to eat and you will have wasted your money. But again, that is not from personal experience just what I have read on this site - which I am beginning to trust more and more!

If I add a fish and Bio-spira at the same time will the bacteria have enough to eat at the beginning? I definately don't want to spend the money on the stuff just to starve out all the bacteria when I put them into my tank. Or should I feed the fish generously at first to get enough nitrogenous waste to feed the bacteria. (I think I know the answer to this question.)

amazonwoman said:
And I'm not sure on which exact site I found the info about bio-spira leading to unstable levals in the long-run-I know that the only stuff I take into consideration is written by people with a lot of experience- I also saw it in several places-not just once. It sounded strange to me too though when I first heard it and noone ever explained eaxactly why or how the levels (ammonia and nitrate) were unstable.

I have not read anything that suggests that using Bio Spira leads to an unstable tank. I have done quite a bit of research on the stuff actually. I think what you probably read was something I've seen all across the web on this subject.

The problem is that there are a number of other products that claim to do the same thing as Bio Spira. Some notable products are Stress Zyme & Cycle. Those products do create an unstable tank because they don't use the correct bacteria. They use bacteria that will eat ammonia but ammonia is not their first choice. So the products will bring down your readings and appear to be working only to stop working a few weeks later making you think your tank isn't stable. The truth is your tank hasn't actually properly cycled!

Because of this "history" with these types of products most lfs owners I talk to immediately suggest that Bio Spira will cause an unstable tank. I've seen posts by experienced fish keepers saying the same thing.... but they haven't actually used the product. They are assuming that Bio Spira is the same thing as all the other products out there... which its not.

Sorry for the long post. I'm out. :)

I'm not sure if I'm reading your question right, but the amounts in each bag of Bio-Spira are meant for a number of fish (ie: a 10g bio-load, a 30g bio-load). You can add a fish and the Bio-Spira, but as you suspect, you will only cultivate a colony to support that one fish; the rest of the bacteria will die. It will deal well with rising levels of ammonia; thats what its made for in case thats what you are worrying about.

Allivymar-I can't find Bio-Spira anywhere so if you could give me Bernie's info so I can order some I'd be highly appreciative.

Back
Top Bottom