new tank gone bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have my first tank. 10 gallon Bio filter, driftwood, Java moss, river rock, and 2 larger rocks. I cycled my tank and had my water tested twice before adding fish. Its been 4 weeks since adding fish and I've tested my water and so has my lfs. Well I went to get a puffer fish and to look my water with me to my lfs and my nitrate and nitrites are high and everything else is perfect. I have 2 Dalmatian Mollies, 2 Sunburst platies, and on sucker. Please help.

ForumRunner_20121003_204204.jpg

When tested it was between .0 and .5

If that's a green spotted puffer I see up in the corner I've got some bad news for you. That's not a freshwater fish - they need brackish water and eventually saltwater when they are mature, they don't do well with other fish, and they need at least 30 gallons. Also, if you are seeing any ammonia or nitrite your tank isn't cycled yet. Nitrates are brought down with water changes. Mollies as well as puffers have large bioloads and will keep your nitrates pretty high.

How did you cycle your tank? Do you have your own test kit? How long did you cycle for? What's the temp?

Everything with the tank was brand new minus the driftwood and two big rocks came from a friends tank. Tank was cycled with bacteria from lfs and they also test my water. They are basically 5 minutes from me. The tank cycled for 12 days.

Everything with the tank was brand new minus the driftwood and two big rocks came from a friends tank. Tank was cycled with bacteria from lfs and they also test my water. They are basically 5 minutes from me. The tank cycled for 12 days.

your tank probably isn't actually cycled. Bacteria can help it but doesn't actually cycle it completely, all it does is set you up to do a fish in cycle. Did you add ammonia while the tank was cycling for those 12 days? or just the bacteria?

A cycle takes between 6-8 weeks usually, sometimes more or less depending on different factors.

If you weren't adding ammonia to your tank and had no fish in it than your water would come back perfect because there is nothing in your tank. It's not until you have fish or an ammonia source that you would start to get readings on tests. I'd also suggest you get your own liquid test kit so you can test your water yourself. Usually pet stores use strips which are not accurate or they say everything is fine when in fact it isn't.

You will want to do water changes on your tank anytime your ammoa or nitrite go above .25-.5ppm. You want your nitrate around or below 20. Your tank is not cycled until you have consistent 0s in ammo and nitrite. It may take several water changes to get your numbers down in a suitable range depending on where they are

Sadly you tank probably won't ever cycle properly. Mollies have huge bioloads and aren't really meant for 10 gallons. They should be in something like a 30. What sort of sucker fish is it? Most are not ok for 10s as well. Also puffers are aggressive and are best in species only tanks. The only puffer that is suitable for a 10 gallon fresh water tank that i'm aware of is a pygmy puffer.

Back
Top Bottom