New tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hampshire1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon tank (I know not recommended, but largest we can accommodate in our home). We cycled it for a week - watched water go cloudy and then go crystal clear. Added 5 zebra danios, 6 guppies, 6 neon tetras and 1 bristlenose catfish. After 2 days I noticed one danio had slight colour fade, mildly swollen belly and staying up top. I did an immediate water change of 20%, dropped the water temp from 25 degrees to 22 degrees Celsius. Almost immediate pick up in the danio, colour came back and swelling on belly reduced. Have withheld food since. Today (day 3) I noticed the same fish had mild colour loss again, so another water change and this time I increased the flow rate of the water filter. Again immediate pick up of the danio. I'm waiting for the water testing kit to arrive in the post. In the meantime, how long should I do daily water changes? How long should I withhold food? Is there anything else I can do to reduce ammonia and increase oxygen? Would adding plants help?

Have you got an airstone? That'll help you oxygenate far more than plants will.

Not sure if you know but you are heavily overstocked, so your tank could well be undergoing another cycle to cope with the increased bioload.

Was looking at the water's cloudiness your only method of keeping track of the cycle? Hopefully that test kit comes soon.

I'd say you should continue with water changes daily until the test kit comes, then test immediately and see what your readings are :)

I've seen some general guidelines about number of inches of fish per litre. Yes, only visual so far. Can't wait for test kit. Wondering why a shop can have so many fish in one tank when we barely have any and then be told we're over stocked.

I've seen some general guidelines about number of inches of fish per litre. Yes, only visual so far. Can't wait for test kit. Wondering why a shop can have so many fish in one tank when we barely have any and then be told we're over stocked.

Be careful of any such guideline. Im glad you understand it's a guideline rather than a rule.

What sort of filtration do you have? And how did you cycle your tank, with an ammonia source or..?

Most experienced fish keepers will agree that a 5 gallon tank isn't suitable for many fish at all. I guarantee your LFS has overstocked tanks too, and there's a number of reasons why they can do this. But put simply; there'd be less fish in there if that was their permanent home.

I'm not familiar with standard dimensions for a 5 gallon, but with your 2 schooling species - danios and tetras - are active fish that require some swimming space, most people recommend a 20 gallons long. Plecos are relatively messy fish. Although a bristle nose is fortunately a far better option than a common, he'll still grow to about 5 inches and the amount of waste he produces will increase the maintenance significantly in such a small tank. With any luck your guppies are all male, so as far as the species goes you're ok there, but a smaller number of them would be ideal in such a small tank.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but your fish will be happier and you'll find it easier if you upgrade to a larger tank in the near future. 29gal+ if possible. Good luck with it though, let us know what your water parameters read once the kit comes

Small internal filter. Didn't use any chemicals to cycle. New territory for me. Used to own a huge tank with external filter. The filter was bigger than my current tank. Used to use chems for the big tank. Trying to do it 'au natural' this time. No chems. The fish look brighter and healthier now than at the shop - colours are exceptionally vibrant.

Wondering if daily water change might have to be permanent as such a small tank. Wondering if I should only feed once a day, rather than 2-3 recommended on the packet. Used to do that for my big tank and those fishes lived for years!

Plan on swapping the bristlenose for another Diddy one when it gets too big.

Small internal filter. Didn't use any chemicals to cycle. New territory for me. Used to own a huge tank with external filter. The filter was bigger than my current tank. Used to use chems for the big tank. Trying to do it 'au natural' this time. No chems. The fish look brighter and healthier now than at the shop - colours are exceptionally vibrant.

Wondering if daily water change might have to be permanent as such a small tank. Wondering if I should only feed once a day, rather than 2-3 recommended on the packet. Used to do that for my big tank and those fishes lived for years!

Plan on swapping the bristlenose for another Diddy one when it gets too big.

Did you use an ammonia source or did you just fill up the tank and let it run?

Maybe think about running a second filter on it, such a hang on back.

It might have to be. You won't really know until you get a test kit and see what your water is doing. Also back to where you asked about plants: if you get some fast growing plants such as water wisteria then they'll take in some of the nitrates as food, lessening your need for water changes a little.

If you feed once a day, make sure everyone is getting food. If you keep up 2-3 times make sure they're very small amounts

If your LFS allows that then I'm glad you have a plan for it. I still strongly recommend considering a tank upgrade though

I was considering secondary filtration. I have seen advice about plants taking the nitrates. I need to act fast though. I forgot to tell hubby we weren't feeding until secondary biomass cycle was complete, and he fed them last night. Within a few hours the danio that had mild colour loss yesterday, was stripe less and pale. So, did an extra water change of about 30%. All fish looking bright and chirpy this morning, but it seems to be true what they say - no margin for error in a small tank. Hoping the test kit arrives today.

Can you explain why too many fish please? What is the net effect? Not enough swimming space? Or too much waste? All fish currently very vibrant in colour this morning. Even the danios white stripes are iridescent. The red on the neon's were just at their tail when we got them, but now deep and bright and spreading up their bodies. The guppies (all male) are shimmering and we're seeing colours not displayed in the fish shop. So, without testing kit, my only reference point are the fish, and they're happy today. Also, is it better to vacuum gravel, or wait a while, for tank chemistry to level off? We are looking into getting a bigger tank and an external filter, but in the meantime, what is the result of overcrowding?

There are many factors that go into how many fish and you listed some. Tetras are a fast swing fish and in generally would really need a 20 gallon in many cases to have the space they would need. Also there are just to many fish in that tank and your always going to have to much waste, in a small tank the water get polluted so much faster since there less water. Also bristlenose plecos reach 6" which is way to big for your tank. Ultimately you are going to keep losing fish. These fish should live in an aquarium for years, anything short of that your doing something wrong. I would get rid of all your current fish and restock your tank with microfish. These are small often amazing little fish that are suitable for such a small tank.

Hi Hampshire

In order to create a safe environment for your fish you need to complete the nitrogen cycle which involves adding an ammonia source. In our aquariums a friendly bacteria begins to grow and feeds on ammonia. Ammonia is very toxic to fish. this process produces another toxin called nitrite. We have to grow a second colony of bacteria to feed on these nitrites. This second process produces nitrates. Fish can tolerate small amounts of nitrates 5-20ppm is standard.

I won't go in to too much detail but you need to research the nitrogen cycle. This is very important.

Ammonia comes from fish waste, fish respiration, uneaten food and decaying organisms. Because you have put so many fish in such a small body of water ammonia output is huge, especially if you are feeding 3 times a day. Remember what goes in comes out and ammonia will result.

You have not cycled your tank. This means that there are nowhere near enough bacteria to manage these toxin levels. I imagine your ammonia will be very high. When you have a bacteria colony that can handle these levels, nitrite will be very high. When you have a bacteria colony that can handle these levels, nitrate will be very high and you will have to water change very often to bring these levels down. This cycle can take weeks even months.

The reason your fish are looking stressed then healthy the stressed etc. is because you are diluting the ammonia with each water change but ammonia is building back up quickly and they become stressed again.

The reason your tank is too small is because even when you have enough bacteria to control ammonia and nitrite, nitrates will always be too high and you will have to water change very often to keep the fish healthy.

The second reason is because your fish are much happier in a larger body of water. Fish feel secure when there are lots of hiding places and water parameters are stable. Fish like to be able to swim around.

Your LFS will have cycled their tanks sufficiently enough to cope with large volumes of fish but just because the fish are coping doesn't mean they should be in such a small tank. Also these fish are sold and do not stay in these tanks as long as you plan to keep them.

I would feed once every other day for now and keep doing 50% water changes every day to keep ammonia down. Feeding them so often will increase ammonia. Fish can go a week plus without food so dont worry about starving them. Your test kit will tell you everything but definitely keep up with water changes as this is the only chance your fish have to survive at this moment if time until your cycle is complete.

Hi, just curious what guidelines you saw for stocking? I assume it was the 1 inch of fish per gallon of water? Regards.

HI, I cycled the tank at start-up, part ammonia source and part source with no fish in. Since adding fish I have been completing partial water changes daily - between 25-40%. I've also started vacuuming the crap out of the gravel. Gave up on non-chem intervention and bought API Stress Coat, Stress Zyme and Tap water conditioner. All fish happy, so far. Since using the API stuff the fish are looking super happy. The Tetras are a little nervous though, and tend to hide a lot, and one tetra goes crazy if a particular guppy goes near it. I'm tempted to return the tetras as they are scared s***less. I actually don't mind doing the water changes, so will definitely keep this up. I've only been feeding once a day. A lot of activity from the fish, and none swimming up top anymore. I kept fish for years, and never lost a single one, and I plan to keep this up!:)

The freaked out tetras suddenly happy and re school ed after I moved all deccies to back (more hiding places) and thus more swimming space. The guppy stopped picking on the tetras as a result. I guess, apart from ammonia, I'll have an issue of fish wanting to establish territory in a small space. Definitely getting a bigger tank as soon as!

Test kit just came. Before water change:
Cl2=0
PH=7.6
KH=7.2*d
GH=16*d
NO2=1
NO3=50

After water change

Cl2=0
PH=7.2
KH=10*d
GH=16*d
NO2=1
NO3=25-50

My water's hard - can I use a water filter (for human use) to reduce water hardness?

Back
Top Bottom