New tank possibly for cherry red shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok lets see

Mango's Tank:
PH: between 7 and 7.5
Ammo: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0

Long Tank:
PH: between 7 and 7.5
Ammo: between 0 and 0.6
Nitrite:0.1
Nitrate:5

Hmm.. what does that mean :p

Well mangos will be low because of that huge water change lol :)

But that long tank is promising, have you got fish in there (can't remember If you have).

Looking good!

Well mangos will be low because of that huge water change lol :)

But that long tank is promising, have you got fish in there (can't remember If you have).

Looking good!

Nope not yet, been resisting getting any so far! (been hard since ive been to the store about 50 times) :p I take it I should still hold off getting fish?

Maintaining this will be difficult that's all I can think. Shrimp mault and shed their exoskeletons

That was my first thought but I gather Jodie really likes cool designs also like she said the size of that jar... It's huge! To answer part of Jodi's question, when I set up tanks, after washing everything out (NO SOAPS!!!!) I place my substrate and equipment first (filters, heaters etc), then start arranging driftwood, ornaments, rocks, then plants, then goes in conditioned water, and then the inhabitants unless you have to cycle first. I'm sure you'll develop your own system that will work best for you, Jodie. I applaud you for doing your research now as opposed to bringing home a bagfull of RCS and then frantic scramble to put together home for them:) Good for you! Can't wait to see your pics, good luck!

That was my first thought but I gather Jodie really likes cool designs also like she said the size of that jar... It's huge! To answer part of Jodi's question, when I set up tanks, after washing everything out (NO SOAPS!!!!) I place my substrate and equipment first (filters, heaters etc), then start arranging driftwood, ornaments, rocks, then plants, then goes in conditioned water, and then the inhabitants unless you have to cycle first. I'm sure you'll develop your own system that will work best for you, Jodie. I applaud you for doing your research now as opposed to bringing home a bagfull of RCS and then frantic scramble to put together home for them:) Good for you! Can't wait to see your pics, good luck!

Aww thanks so much, Ive had the tanks set up about 3 weeks now and I think I'll be bringing home the cherry's next Thursday :D Going to wait a little longer to stock the long tank though! I'll be sure too add photos, think Im going to do one big water change in the vase tank before putting in the shrimps since the glass is starting to get a little cloudy, mainly because there's loads of little white worms on there :p I put 2 of my snails in the other day and I spotted them yesterday and they seem to be doing ok! I wanted to ask though (I think it was answered earlier on in the topic but I cant be bothered to go through all the pages :p But what is the right temperature for cherry shrimp? Ive had it on high up until now to help the bacteria grow but touching the vase its very warm so I think it may be too high.

Yep, just wait till ammo and nitrite are at zeros, then dose around 4ppm and test after 24 hrs.

If its back at zero you'll be cycled :)

How do I measure out 4ppm? :eek:
OH also am I meant to keep testing the water every day?

Add a little, then test to check the levels, then add a little more.

Or, you can work out what to do with a calculator.

Calculator

You can enter some info and It'll tell you how much to add :)

Oooh ok I'll try that now :D Quick question though, when measuring height do I measure just up to the height of the water or the whole tank?

oh and when it says % of ammonia in solution.. is it asking how much is already in the tank? Shall I do a test? (Should I be testing everything daily anyway?)

oh and when it says % of ammonia in solution.. is it asking how much is already in the tank? Shall I do a test? (Should I be testing everything daily anyway?)

That means the source of ammo you're adding.

The bottle should say what percent ammo is in the bottle :)

And daily testing during a cycle is essential to avoid huge spikes (sorry, I should've said that earlier!!!)

That means the source of ammo you're adding.

The bottle should say what percent ammo is in the bottle :)

And daily testing during a cycle is essential to avoid huge spikes (sorry, I should've said that earlier!!!)

Ahh ok I'll do a test now then and post results to you :D My ammo bottle is the same one you sent me.. it doesnt say on it.. its pure ammo right so is it 100%?

Ahh ok I'll do a test now then and post results to you :D My ammo bottle is the same one you sent me.. it doesnt say on it.. its pure ammo right so is it 100%?

Nope, it's ammo and water solutions (pure ammo would do some serious damage if sold!)

It's usually 9.5% but I can't remember tbh, it should say on the label on the back :)

Nope, it's ammo and water solutions (pure ammo would do some serious damage if sold!)

It's usually 9.5% but I can't remember tbh, it should say on the label on the back :)

I doesn't say! D: Its the same bottle you linked me too the kleen off one.. if i put 9.5% into the calculator it comes up at 0.8ml that i need to add, does that sound about right?

Ok here we go (Always makes me happy getting out my test kit! Feel like a mad scientist) :p

Mango's Tank:
PH: 7.0
Ammo: less than 0.6
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:less than 5

Long Tank:
PH: 7.5
Ammo: less than 0.6
Nitrite:0.8
Nitrate: 20 (I think)

Back
Top Bottom