New tank, problem with white fungus and otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liru

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!
So, i made a big mistake by getting couple otos for my new tank. I knew i shouldn't, but i just got so excited and there were only two of them at the store and more coming in couple days, so i just got two of those. Anyway, one died next day. It couldn't swim , he was upside down and then just died. The other one seems good, but wn i turn off the led bright light and turn on the moonlight, this oto is being super active in the corner. He swims up and down. Kinda looks like he is freaking out or trying to escape this tank. Is this normal?
My problem is feeding this oto, i dont really have algae in the tank, but i try to feed with cucumber and algae wafers . Also, i know this fish is lonely and he needs 5 more otos, but i dont wana get them because no algae. And i dont want this one to die either ... what are your sugestions on this problem?
Another problem is that those algae wafers and cucumber gets covered in white fungus within one day. I dont know if thats normal, but it is very complicated to clean it. I did clean it and replaced with new ones, but it took long time and i had to change water like 20%. It seems like i will have to do this everyday
And last thing... do you think i should get some ghost shrimp , so they can help with cleaning those wafers? Or they wont eat them with that white fuzzy thing on top?

Hi, welcome! Silly question here but is the tank cycled? Just seeing where tank is at to make sure the otto is just swimming normal.

Not that I have ottos, but when my lights go off sometimes my platys sometimes start hitting the gravel and going a bit crazy for 5 mins until they get used to the dark.

Doesn’t happen as much anymore as I think they are now used to it (had them 2 years or so now) but I think it may be normal based on my fish

Back
Top Bottom