New tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mongplop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,Ive just set up my 10gallon tank with a heater and airstone.I bought 8 cardinal tetras and 4 mollies and 4 guppies.Im thinking of getting a pleco also.Can plecos live in the same temperature as the others as the ones in my petshop were in an unheated tank?

They like tropical temperatures. I am sorry to say, no type of pleco stays small enough to live in a ten gallon tank.

You might want to try an Otto, they stay small and are algae eating machines!

Is the tank cycled?You also seem very over poulated to me.

Search this site for cycle or nitrogen cycle if you don't understand the question...If you are brand new to aquaria I'm sure you don't.

Its important you get an understanding of it or death is headed you way with some quickness I'm afraid.Esp with that poulation in a brand new set up.

You have found a site for help.Keep posting questions till you understand.

You are already overstocked. Mollies get big- 5". There are no plecos that will stay small enough for your tank. I also notice your tank is unflitered. I urge you to look at the artice about the nitrogen cycle that was mentioned above.

Your going to need a lot of filteration. If you really intend to keep all of those fish in a 10 gallon, your going to need a great HOB filter or a cannister. You really should upgrade to a 20gal, as that is about an appropriate stock level for a 20 gallon. The general rule is 1 inch of fish per gallon (keeping in mind that fish will grow).

If you have no filtration and that many fish, you will likely reach leathal ammonia levels in just a few days. You will need daily 50-75% water changes to keep things survivable until you get a filter setup AND cycled.

Well today I bought a small filter,a fluval-1.I did not get my pleco as they had none in.I added the tester to the tank (8 drops) and the water did not change colour so hopefully everything is ok!

mongplop said:
Well today I bought a small filter,a fluval-1.I did not get my pleco as they had none in.I added the tester to the tank (8 drops) and the water did not change colour so hopefully everything is ok!

I am taking you at your literal word, in that case, you do not add the tester directly to the tank, you will collect tank water in the test tube and add the testing fluid to the water in the test tube. Generally, you have to wait 5 minutes to see any results.

EEEks! you did use the testing tube right?The test fluid should never get into your tank. In most cases its really caustic. If you did...get a bowl with clean de chlorinated water and get your fish into it asap. Toss out the old water and start fresh, dont forget the de chlorinator and maybe some Cycle to get everything going smoothly as you head down the new tank trail.

Back
Top Bottom