New tank set up questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyWang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, im new here and have some questions about setting up a new tank. So heres the story real quick about 2 years ago I decided I wanted to get into the hobby of fish keeping, so I saved some money, found a 55 gal on craigslist, came home set it up and then realized it took alot more than just adding water and fish. I did some reading and realized I needed to cycle it. Well I was way to impatient at the time so I decided to go the route of cycling with fish. I was told by the Petsmart people to just get a couple goldfish because they are Hardy and produce lots of waste so after a couple months I would have a pretty good biological system and then I could take them out, do a major water change (80-90%) and start my semi-agressive tropical community. After having them a couple months and doing more reading I realized the torture I probably put them through and so I couldn't make myself "just flush them" as I was told, and trying to rehome them was impossible so I just decided that I would keep them, so here I am almost 2 years later with my fully cycled goldfish tank and 2 huge fish. Now my quesion is this, im wanting to set up a 15 gal tank for 3 adf's and my betta. The filter on that one is a topfin 20gal which takes large filter pads, the same size pads as one of the filters on my goldfish tank would it work to put my all my decor thats going in my 15 in with my goldfish for a couple weeks to a month so the BB can grow on it then put it in the 15 and use a dirty filter pad in the filter (i would run it in the 55 but it doesnt fit on the side) along with some gravel for seeding. Would this be enough BB to add my frogs right away or would I need to still fishless cycle with ammoina? Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. if I can successfuly do this then im going to get another 55 for my long wanted tropical, but thats another day lol.

It should instantly cycle. I mean in theory your filter media in your 55 will have been cycled for 2 goldies and should have no problem maintaining the bioload for a betta and a few frogs. The more the better of course and I would certainly check your levels after adding everyone. Just to be sure. At the worst you'd go through a slight adjustment period where you may need to do a few extra water changes but I honestly doubt it.

Fish in cycles can be done humanly though. It just takes some knowledge on the process but if done properly there is no harm to your fish.

HI and welcome! You could do it that way, sure; you'd probably get some bacteria on the decor but probably not enough; most of the bacteria is on the filter. Since you're going to pull a dirty filter pad from the 55 anyway you could just do that and then add the frogs and fish (they should be ok but test daily for a week or two and do water changes as needed). You might get a mini-cycle in the 55 though, so test and monitor that tank daily and do extra water changes as needed until the new pad you added builds up the bacteria. Ideally you'd run the new filter on the 55 which would seed the new filter and wouldn't cause a mini-cycle in the 55 but you said it won't fit; can you cut the hood?

Hi and welcome to AA!!!! For a few adfs & betta in 15g, you should be perfectly fine to move an existing filter from the goldfish tank to their tank immediately & pretty much have an instantly cycled tank for them to move into the same day. Just make sure the filter has been on the goldie tank for atleast a month (preferably, longer) & your adding your guys within a day (or two) so ammonia dosing isnt necessary. Then, just monitor the new tank for @2wks to make sure there are no spikes in toxins. Putting some gravel from the goldie tank or letting decor for the new tank sit in the goldie tank for a few weeks is extra assurance!

By the way, I applaud you for NOT flushing the goldfish!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not condone alot of the advice offered by uneducated (or simply dont care) chain store employees. Some of it literally makes me cringe with horror.... Best of luck with your new tank and dont hesitate to ask questions!!! :)

Thanks guys I was hoping that the filter pad would be enough. I just wanted to make sure I did this right so that around new years when I set up my tropical I'll kinda know what I'm doing. That one I WILL let run in the goldies tank for a month or so first. The only reason im not with this one is because the lip of the tank is to thick :( that was originally my plan, but oh well!

Back
Top Bottom