New Tank Set-Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LauraV

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just set up a new 65 Gal. freshwater tank with red lava rock and driftwood. The water is rust color now, the filter is running. Will the water clear soon? Should I do anything else to help clear the water? :(

Did you presoak your driftwood? Did you rinse your lava rock? Driftwood leaks tannings turning your water brownish.

reefdiver said:
Did you presoak your driftwood? Did you rinse your lava rock? Driftwood leaks tannings turning your water brownish.

+1 and adding carbon to your filter will help a little with the tannins. But the key is to treat that dw.

Yes I soaked and rinsed off everything before placing in tank. The next day water is very dark rust color. The filter is running but I noticed no difference the next day. Don't know what to do or whether water will clear soon or is there something else I should do.

You can try this take out your DW and do a small water change. That will tell you. What the problem is. I'm 100% sure its DW that may need more soaking in a different container. I ran mine under hot water let it soaked did the same for 3 days

Yes I soaked and rinsed off everything before placing in tank. The next day water is very dark rust color. The filter is running but I noticed no difference the next day. Don't know what to do or whether water will clear soon or is there something else I should do.
How long did you soak your driftwood? I had to boil mine several times and then soak it for several weeks before I put it in my tank. I agree with others who have said the rust colored water is a result of tannins from your drift wood. Boil it and then soak for a long time. Carbon in your filter will help too but won't completely eliminate the discoloration.

Back
Top Bottom