New tank set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogyspond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of waiting for my 36 gallon bow front to cycle and looking to make this one an African Cichlids tank. Just looking for some ideas of what to stock the tank with and if any suggestions on changes to the layout before I introduce the fish to the tank. My plan is not to add the fish till after the thanksgiving holidays. This is my fist post, I stumbled on this site when looking for ideas for this tank. Thanks for any advice.

image-3085151266.jpg

I love my Electric Yellow and Convicts. I also have some pale pink and pale blue ones that I believe to be crossbreds. I really enjoy them. Your tank looks awesome!

Attachments

• image-3687050016.jpg
    image-3687050016.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1200956169.jpg
    image-1200956169.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3355701771.jpg
    image-3355701771.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 83
If it was me and I really wanted african Cichlids I would only do 10-14 of them and only do ones that stay at or under the 4.5" marker. Please keep in mind that with african Cichlids the standard tank size is at 48" length. So aggression in a 30" footprint will be different and what you stock will be crucial.

Thank you, I understand the battle over larger is better and trust me if I had the room I would have a lot larger tank. I would do the standard yellow or Blue labs if that is what will work but I am looking for is the not standard Africans Cichlids that will not over grow the tank.

Frogyspond said:
Thank you, I understand the battle over larger is better and trust me if I had the room I would have a lot larger tank. I would do the standard yellow or Blue labs if that is what will work but I am looking for is the not standard Africans Cichlids that will not over grow the tank.

Excuse me where are my manners :) :welcome: to AA!
The problem will be finding the "not standard" and I'm not saying it can't be done but time, patience and research will be key here. Especially with that size of tank where there isn't a whole lot of Malawi Cichlids that should go into that tank. Maybe you would like the Lake Tanganyika Cichlids better. They have shell dwellers that stay pretty small and aren't so common. Lake Malawi only has one shell dweller that I know of and I've never seen them for sale, but I haven't looked hard for them. I believe the name of this little guy is Pseudotropheus lanisticola at a max size of 3". Here is some info about them for a picture you'll have to do a Google search of the name I provided
http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Pseudotropheus_lanisticola.html
There are also the afra cobue Orange back other wise known as Afra Edwardi that is somewhat common (I have one and love it) but stays small. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1371

Here is another that's not as popular that stays quite small Ruby Green http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1558

Well I hope I've helped some let me know if you need more

Thank you I will look around, I have some time before I am going to put fish in the tank and will be really looking after Thanksgiving, the other problem is my location, I live in a remote part of the state and not a lot of good fish stores in my area. So I am looking at aquabid and, if anyone knows of other Internet sites to locate fish please let me know.

Thanks, I had a chance to look at some of the sites and the prices are not as bad as I thought they would be, except for the 30-50 shipping charge, but that is needed if one is wanting fish that can not be picked up locally.

Because this is a new tank and has not fully cycled yet, Before I order fish from online what would be a good "cannery in the coal mine" fish to get to make sure everything is good to go for the main fish come to the tank.

I have a good history with fish but never worked with African Cichlids before, what would be the best way to introduce fish to the new tank, all at once or in smaller fractions like a third now a month later another third. I have always done it in parts but with the territorial demands that I am reading about all coming together at once sounds like that might work better.

Thanks so much for all your help

We tell everyone all at once but I did mine in groups of like 12 or so every week for a few weeks as long as you buy them when young it won't be a problem adding them a few here and a few there. But once they get a couple or a few inches on them they become more mature and aggressive.

The shipping is what will rape you so I'd try and order them all at once to get a cheaper and better deal. If the tank hasn't cycled yet you can do a fishless cycle and info for that can be found here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

Or you can get a few synodontis catfish at a local fish store to get a fish in cycle going before you receive the ones you order.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

My kenyi, demasoni, yellow lab, and red zebra cichlids are the smallest in my tank... I have 15 in my 55 gal... The 5 of them haven't grown in 4 months... They are the smallest but hold their own with my bumble bee and other bigger cichlids..

Also petsmart has a pets perk card thing... They have some cichlids for $2.50 up to $5.... Just find the ones with the pets perk red tag and when u get 2 the register apply for the pets perk card and they will give them to you for the price of a pets perk member all they need is your phone number.

As a beginning hobbyist, I nearly fell out when I saw the shipping cost associated with purchasing fish online. Most pet stores I've been in have a lot of Malawi cichlids. Tanganyika are few and far between in my area at least. I've seen Frontosa (one of my favorite cichlids) and couple species of Moorii.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom