New tank set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have set up a new cichlid tank, it's been set up over a week, went to the shop yesterday to get some fish and they said it's best to start with 4 yellow lads 3 female and 1 male, I also got 2 Synodontis Catfish.
I have aquarian tropical flake food and green seaweed to feed them with, I have the heat at 75 degrees and the PH level is 7.6, just wondering if there was any advice to give us or if I am doing anything wrong.
This is the tank
IMG_5380.jpg

Idk much about cichlids. Are you trying a fish in cycle? I know syno make up a large species of cats some of which need large tanks. Love the rock and background.

Idk much about cichlids. Are you trying a fish in cycle? I know syno make up a large species of cats some of which need large tanks. Love the rock and background.

IMG_5381.jpg
That's the ones I have, I was told it's best to start with the 4 cichlids and then get another 6 next week and so on

What "6" were you planning on getting next week? I generally think its best to get all your fish at the same size at the same time. That way they get jumbled in the mix together and have to establish there entire hierarchy as one community instead of getting a few and establishing said hierarchy and then throwing some more outsiders in next week that have a much harder time joining the crowd. If you add more fish later on i believe its best to have the lights off and perhaps covering your tank with a towel so they can get in the mix with the least amount of trouble.

I never had luck with cats in a cichlid tank but a lot of people do! Good luck

The setup is great! Maybe perhaps some more plants/rocks/hiding places if you decide to put more fish in there, especially a different mbuna!

What size tank? Filtration?

Looks great!

125 liters is way on the small side for cichlids. I'd say your already overstocked in that tank and I hope your familiar with fish in cycling because if not done right it's extremely cruel

That makes it about 30gal right? That IS pretty small and i wouldnt advise putting anymore in there. Let them live their familial life together and you'll have a pretty tank

You can add more than 6 fish assuming they are fish that will work in your set up. I'd strongly recommend returning the fish you have, cycle the tank using the ammonia method and research suitable stocking options for this size tank. Check liveaquaria for options, search by 30gal min tank size and see what you like them come back here and ask questions.

View attachment 294059
That's the ones I have, I was told it's best to start with the 4 cichlids and then get another 6 next week and so on

Heads up, those aren't synodontis. Not even close really lol

Those are spotted pictus cats. I haven't seen them work out that well with mbuna. You may get by with them, but you'd be best to return them and exchange them for an actual species of synodontis, something like lucipinnis or petricola would be good choices to be with yellow labs and stay on the smaller side

I use to keep Mbuna......90 gallon with plenty of rock caves for them to hide out.....I think I had about 20 to 25 in there with 925gph of filtration. From all my research it's better to over stock with mbuna but a 30 gal may be a bit too small for them as they get about 6". I also did a fish less cycle but if you test and do water changes you should be ok.....just stay on top of it. I did a fish in cycle with a small guppy tank once and felt terrible.

Freakgecko is correct: your cats are Pimelodus pictus, a small growing, South American catfish, not at all aggressive and a bit shy. I don't think they'd do well in a Mbuna setup.
I would recommend Synodontus multipunctatus, or S. cf_polli. Both Tanganyika species, but both do well in Mbuna setups, and neither grow overly large.
AS to adding fish; I wouldn't. It isn't always about the tank capacity; Mbuna like to have plenty of hides, and plenty of swimming room. If you really want Mbuna, IMO, upgrade to a 55g (about 200L).
If you want cichlids, but not necessarily Mbuna, check out some of the smaller Tanganyika species. Many will do well in small tanks, and they're every bit as fun as Malawi cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom