New Tank Temperature problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tukie2kie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon tank that came with a kit, heater, filter.. etc. like a starter kit and it has instructions to set it up. Its been going for about 6 days and I can NOT get the temperature to get any lower then 77 ish. It hangs around 78 most of the time and i have my heater (submergable) set around 74. Sometimes it gets up to 80 while other times its at 77.

I know that I am going to get some tetras, a pleco, cory cats and i was told to keep the tank between 72 and 76.

My tank is currently on a stand 24 inches from the ground, 4 feet from my window and 3 and 1/2 feet from my air vent. My room does get hot from the sun but i have curtains.

What can i do to get teh temperature regulated? Am i too close to the window still?

I have the heater right next to my filter in a verticle position and my thermometers are at the opposite corner of the fishtank towards the front.

Any advice would be GREAT!

First thing, heaters are meant to warm up the water, not cool it down. The coldest it's going to get is right around the temp in the room, maybe a little warmer due to sunlight if exposed, the tank lights, etc. Sounds like your room is just too warm. But as for the fish, most fish are happy at around 77-78 degrees anyways, except cold-water fish. And the fish you want, they will be very comfortable at 78 degrees.

And if the temp does get a little warmer, place a small fan so it blows across the top of the tank. You will be amazed at how much of a drop you can get in the temp. But remember, you don't want to stress the fish, si if you want to lower it, adjust the heater to the current temp, then place the fan and slowly lower the heater setting.

Thanks! I will be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks for your help!

Heaters are pretty inaccurate in the temp calibration. With a new heater, it is best to set it on a low setting, and dial it up a little every few hours until the desired temp is reached (& ignore what the temp dial says).

Of course, if the room temp (plus heat from your light, pump, etc) is keeping the tank temp higher than desired, then you'll have to do some of the things listed in the above post (keep in mind that 78 is not too high for the fish you want to keep so no need to go overboard).

One thing, if you have an incandescent light in the hood, that can heat up the tank. Best to switch to fluorescent in that case .... you can often find mini compact fluorescent bulbs that will fit a standard incandescent fixture.

So is it okay once I add fish to have some temperature fluctuation. You say that 78 isnt too high but what is Ideal to be around. Also about "stressing" the fish, does low or high temperature do that?

i actually keep my tanks around 80-82 F in the summer ( i live in FL. it is impossible to get below 80 during the day in the summer ) and 78-80 in the winter

my fish are happy little piggies most of the time.

Most fish can live within a fairly wide range of temp. You just have to avoid big sudden changes. In nature, fish do fine with daily & seasonal fluctuaitons in temp. Generally if the fluctuation is less than 2-3 degrees in a day, you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom