New Tank Test Results and QUESTIONS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tukie2kie

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i have had my 20gal tank set up for a little over 2 weeks now and i JUST got my test kit. I have had several topics going already about other things such as temp., lighting, fish, water changes.

But now i need help with really understanding my test results.
I have a sheet i got with my starter kit that tells me what my levels SHOULD be when

but i did start doing a fishless cycle.

I turned my tank temp up to 87ish for about 1 week and added a little bit of fish food for 3 days or so. I stopped adding fishfood last week and i havent added anymore for about 4 days and i just turned the heater off to get the temp back down to about 76 degrees.

*I also have a solution caled "cycle" introduced into my tank a week or so ago*

Here are my results for the tests as of today:

Amonia .25 (it might be a little higer but it def wasnt .50)
Nirtites 1
Nitrates just slightly lighter then what needed to be 5 so its aroudn 5
the Ph was 7.6 ( i did a low range test... i didnt think I should do a highrange test but if you think i need to i might as well)

I dont have any fish in my tank and my question is when can i start adding fish and WHICH fish can I add with these levels in my tank.

the kind of fish i am wanting:

some kind of cory cats
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Neon and or glowlite tetras
(not 100% sure on what kindof tetras but im going to get a few kinds I am sure)
a pleco
a ghost shrimp and or a bamboo shrimp

When can I add fish, and which fish should I add when
and what kindof fish do you suggest considering what I am interested in adding?

Any advice would be amazing!

You need to keep adding food and be patient. You can add fish when ammonia and nitrite go back to zero. From your numbers things are progressing nicely.

Two schools of tetras, 4-5 cories and a small type of pleco should make a nice stocking for your tank.

Be patient you are doing just fine.

If you're doing a fishless cycle then you wait till the ammonia and nitrite read zero. I'd add the tetras first (though neons seem sensitive and fragile lately). You always want to add the bottem feeders last so I'd add the cories next and then the pleco.

I would dose pure ammonia rather than fish food, IMO it is faster. Nitrites will spike, they are only beginning to from your current numbers. Don't add fish until ammonia and nitrite go to 0ppm. Also Cycle will not help speed up your cycle at all. Sorry but it claims it will but it doesn't. It doesn't carry any live bacteria.

Your cycle is progressing, be patient, you're getting there.

Ammonia is at 0... but nitrites are still haning just under 5.. Its def more then 2 but less thatn 5 and they have been like that for 4 days after ammonia has been zero. So im still waiting

Do i need to continue to add ammonia since it is at 0? How much longer do you suspect it shall take?

Yes keep adding ammonia. Two weeks would be my guess. Only add ammonia to 2 ppm just enough to keep the ammonia eating colonies alive and well.

Back
Top Bottom