New tank to set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KateWantsAngels

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I decided to upgrade my tank to a 55gal. and looking to transfer my 2 angels over to it. I want to have it set up perfectly to their needs. I know they like a lot of plants real or fake and should I have sand or gravel?

I personally prefer gravel, however I know a lot of people do prefer sand. I just find gravel easier to keep clean ect

Kimberley said:
I personally prefer gravel, however I know a lot of people do prefer sand. I just find gravel easier to keep clean ect

I find that my sand is easier. Any trash sits on top. When I changed over from gravel, it was nasty underneath, and with weekly vacuuming, it still didn't get it all. My nitrates are much better too.

I have sand in all my tanks and I find it easyer to clean
1 tank is all sand no plants
2 my planted tank is kitty litter topped with sand

I like the look of sand but I am not sure how to clean it when doing changes. Thanks for the opinions on substrates. I think I will go with sand and learn how to clean it. Any other suggestions for me?

I recently switched from natural gravel to tahitian moon sand and love it.

With the sand the fish are more active and doing what they would in nature, dig!

It's a lot easier to clean and since switching my parameters have been spot on. No more nitrAte issues. When I removed the gravel it was disgusting!! You think your doing a good job gravel cleaning but lemme tell ya something...

Was I in shock!! What a mess!! Sand all the way IMO.

When you go to clean the sand you'll want to hold the end of it a inch or two above the sand and o around in fast little circles. That will force the poop or whatever up off the sand to het sucked up

Yea just like Andy said, it's so easy to clean. Also we have power heads in our tanks. The use of a power head will help debris from settling to the bottom and help get it to the filters better. My sand bed is nice and clean.

Okie next question. What should I do for a background? I am not a huge fan of the ones from my lfs I just want like a plain black background

Ahhh I'm sold on sand. :)

Go for it then! You'll love the sand, and I do agree it is easier to clean than gravel. Keeping angelfish in a 55, IMO it is unlikely that powerheads will be necessary (or even welcome- they don't like a ton of flow). Also, angelfish do dig to an extent, but don't expect them to really excavate like a lot of African Rift Lake cichlids or a lot of Central American cichlids.

a lot of peole paint the back of the tank.......easy to remove if you ever want to change

I am switching over to Sand, Gravel is horrible. Impossible to keep clean. I couldn't believe how much dirt was underneath it all when I cleaned it out.

KateWantsAngels said:
Okie next question. What should I do for a background? I am not a huge fan of the ones from my lfs I just want like a plain black background

Yea why not, most have painted backgrounds. I painted mine black.

KateWantsAngels said:
Any specific paint recommended or any paint will work?

Krylon spray paint works well. It worked well. Just make sure to tap everything off well before spraying. Your doing this indoors or outside?

I have a back porch I could do this on. Spray paint works best though? Sounds good to me. Aside from my two angels any stocking suggestions?

KateWantsAngels said:
I have a back porch I could do this on. Spray paint works best though? Sounds good to me. Aside from my two angels any stocking suggestions?

Yea spray paint will work just fine. Start at the top with very light coats back and forth.

As for stocking, I'm not really sure. I know my friend has a pair with a schooling fish like neons and rummy noses. Sorry can't be more help with that. Maybe start another thread about stocking ideas with Angels ya might get more views from more knowledgable members with experience with angels.

Oh and he has a red tailed shark in there also.

KateWantsAngels said:
Great! Now just to find some krylon spray paint. Thanks for all the help!

Anytime. Any hardware store or homedepot will have it. It doesn't really need to be Fusion. Just read the can and make sure it's good to go for glass surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom