New tank Transistion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonwilks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 180 gallon fresh water tank made from acrylic. I am upgrading to a 180 gallon starphire glass tank from glasscages.

Currently I have like 10 fish in my tank, some are big fish. One is like 8 inches long and 2 inches think. Anyway, I have been dealing with a cloud problem for the past 5 months in this tank. It seems like no matter what I do I cant get rid of the cloudiness. Ive tried algea removers, heavy particle/metal combiners, frequent water changes, sometimes even like 98% water changes (did like 10 of them), nothing ever worked.

But Im about to get this starphire glass tank replacement tank on June 2nd. And I would like to know if I should transfer any of the gravel/water to my new tank so I dont have to wait long for the bacteria to develop? Is this going to transfer the cloud as well? Should thoroughly clean the gravel first?

Anything else I should consider while doing the tank change?

Sorry I am a newbie to all this stuff!

Wow! I would love to see pics of the new tank when its done! The most important thing to transfer is your established filter/established filter media. Transferring the water will have little effect & will likely transfer the cloudiness as well. Moving the gravel/decor will be up to you- if you plan on reusing it, you may want to do a good gravel vac to remove debris & perhaps rinse it in some used tank water if its very dirty before transferring it to the new tank. Good luck!! :)

Back
Top Bottom