new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob_thing5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am new to the forum, although I havnt had a tank for about 3 years I have had 3 years of active experience with a 50 gallon mainly and many other sizes as well. I am starting up for the first time in years and I want to do a planted freshwater aquarium (sorry if this is in the wrong section, I am new to the forum).
I want a 55 gallon tank preferably acrylic all clear with a light blue background, I would like built in filtration but I have noticed it costs an arm and a leg. does any body have any ideas I would like to spend 200$ on just the tank but get an acrylic with curved sides and no borders. the reason I want built in filtration is to hide as many components as possible, I want the least amount of equipment to be noticeable, so the extra space for heaters and stuff is nice.
as for the rest I plan to get the Turbo CO2 Bio-System http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&pcatid=14711
Eco-Complete Plant Substrate
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...87&pcatid=9087
First Layer Pure Laterite
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...76&pcatid=4876

as far as filtration goes I dont know what to get due to the fact that I dont know weather I will be getting a built in filtration system. I was thinking of getting something that removes ammonia, heavy metals and bad odor and smells, and nitrate, nitrite, and phosphates, I dont know if that is over kill but it sounds good, I know plants need phosphate but I was planning on adding Flourish Tabs in the last section of the filtration to replenish a positive amount of phosphate along with other nutrients. and I was also wondering as far as vitamin supplements and slime coats and water conditioner, bacteria ect. what are the best?
and last for lighting I wanted the Orbit Compact Fluorescent Lunar Lights its 48" long has lunar lights (something I really want) it has about 260 watts total with 4 power compact bulbs, I was also planning on gettin 2 of the 4
SunPaq Dual Daylight 6700°K/10000°K, and the other two SunPaq Daylight 6700°K, would that be the best lighting spectrum for freshwater plants?

I was also thinking about getting a single flourescent ficture with a bulb at 5000k or 5500k, I am not entirely certain about what is right for an array of plants. and also the co2, should I get more than fermentation? 300$ is steep but is that worth it?

I recommend that you take a peek in the Planted Tank Forum. There's a sticky that has links to lots of great information on starting a planted aquarium. If you've still got questions about setting up a planted aquarium, then posting in that forum will be the best place to get attension from the planted tank gurus.

That Turbox CO2 Bio-System is basically DIY CO2 in a pretty package and totally insufficient for as large an aquarium as you're talking about setting up. I'd recommend seriously considering going with pressurized CO2 or sticking to 2WPG or less and skipping the CO2 altogether. Once you get past a certain size aquarium, most people find that DIY CO2 become more work and expense than it's worth.

With Eco Complete there is absolutely no need for the Laterite, it's already chock full of nutrients.

That's a ton of light over a 50-55 gallon aquarium. You'll have to really be on top of the CO2 and nutrients or you'll end up with algae soup in quick order. You might want to consider cutting back on the lighting slightly (3-4WPG is plenty) to make it more managable and again only exceed 2WPG if you're willing to do CO2 right.

If you go the DIY CO2 route you'd be looking at five to six 2 Liter bottles or 3 gallon bottles for the CO2 generators. You'd also want to make sure to use a very efficient diffuser, probably either a powered reactor (inline or intake) or the mist method. In the long run buying a pressurized system will be less expensive and a lot less hastle.

Any bulb in the 5000-10000K range will work just fine. It's more about finding a mix that is pleasing to your eyes.

thank you for your knowledge, I was wondering if they have a square japanese pin style power compact bulb in the range of 5500K?

Back
Top Bottom