New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

llama0788

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK so I just picked up a 20 gallon long planted tank with 10 Serpae Tetras and 2 Otos in it. It had been established for 3 months but had green water when I picked it up. We drained it for transport and when I got it home the water was a much darker green. I filled it back up with treated water. That was almost a week ago, and it is still green though not as dark. For the past couple days I have been doing 25% water changes daily to make the water clear. I just tested it with an API Kit I just bought and read 6.6 Ph 0.5 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. Any suggestions/ what am I doing wrong?

Water changes should help. If the water is green I'm guessing in an algae bloom. How long do you keep the lights on?

Hm, if the tank was established for that long it should be reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrate. Did you (or the seller) change out the filter media? It might be possible that the previous owner neglected the tank so much that ammonia built up again? Not sure if that's possible, though, if the tank was cycled.

Also the green water could be green algae, although I'm not an expert by any means. I'd keep doing water changes until it's sorted out. Good luck!

Doesn't sound like your doing anything wrong ... per say. It just may be time to go 50% PWC's. 0.5 ammo can either mean the tank isn't established, or your source of PWC has ammonia in it .. probably from chloramines. We recommend Seachem Prime to lock the ammo into a less toxic form while whatever BB is in the tank can consume it. An established tank should be showing nitrates ... even with plants ... so there is the chance the tank isn't cycled.

Have you done any gravel vacs? There may be a ton of uneaten food / detritus that's providing nutrients for the Algae. The link below should help.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

The tank came with a 96 w power compact, and I leave the lights on for 8 hours. I put a new carbon insert in the aquaclear because there wasn't one in there when I got it. I also cleaned the sponge and biobag in old water when I got it. I bought a siphon and have been trying to clean the gravel everytime I do a water change.

The only thing I can think of is to keep doing water changes and it should clear up eventually. I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

Back
Top Bottom