New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppy77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will be receiving a 29 gallon tank for Christmas. I don't know what to put in it. Any Suggestions?

Definitely freshwater any specialty tank suggestions are good too

I'm leaning towards angelfish I think I just wanted some other ideas

Guppy77 said:
I'm leaning towards angelfish I think I just wanted some other ideas

Well, you can do a single angel fish a school of something (nothing nippy) and some bottom dwellers like cories or khulis.
Or you can try and have a pair of angels. A pair may terrorize other tank mates though.

Ok thanks how difficult are angels to care for

Ok angelfish are definitely a possibility is there anything a little out of the ordinary out there

What type of fish can you keep with angelfish?

Ive got a 29 with 3 discus. They're just an idea of something different, and ive seen angels in w alot of fish. But shes right to many and they seem to like to terrorize a lil bit.

Guppy77 said:

Nothing nippy because it will nip the angels fins (serpae tetra, barbs,etc) and nothing too small or the angel could eat them (neons, guppies, etc).

I good thing to do is visit you LFS, write down the species your interested in and research them.

Depends. What fish do you want?

Generally I would recommend deeper bodied tetras that are non-nippers, small bottom schoolers like cories, and perhaps a trio of otos of a BN pleco for something interesting.

If you get a pair, you can't keep any other fish in a 29G with it other than probably a few cories. A single angel will give you a lot more options to work with.

Ive got a 29 with 3 discus. They're just an idea of something different, and ive seen angels in w alot of fish. But shes right to many and they seem to like to terrorize a lil bit.

Maybe as a grow-out tank for the discus, but not permanent home for them ;)

IMO discus and angels is a risky mix. Discus could easily get outcompeted for food by angels.

I have two angels in my 29 gallon and am going to be taking one back to the LFS because as they are getting bigger, they are starting to peck each other. My best guess is I wound up with two males.

I have 1 bolivian ram, 5 false julli cories, 2 panda cories, 2 khuli loaches, a bristile pleco, a couple of Apple snails, and 8 jumbo neon tetras. I am aware the neons may soon become food and not sure what I'm gonna do about it. People may hate me but I may let nature take its course if that happens because I'm a tad heavily stocked as it is. But it is a planted tank and I do large water changes every week, I have a hard time getting my nitrates to read 5-10 because the plants consume so much.

Just to update, I rehomed one of my angels to the fish store today becaise they were bullying each other. With that experience, I wouldn't attempt more than one angel in a 29g... I was hoping to luck out and get a pair but it didn't work out for me.

I have a 29 gallon,
It's nice because it's a bit tall for how wide it is so upward builds are pretty cool with it.
I had like a rock cave building up (so it was more vertical) and put in a rainbow shark.

You could also add in tiger barbs with this shark, I like fish that are more active which is why I've suggested these.

Also breeding guppies have always been fun :)

ashleynicole said:
Just to update, I rehomed one of my angels to the fish store today becaise they were bullying each other. With that experience, I wouldn't attempt more than one angel in a 29g... I was hoping to luck out and get a pair but it didn't work out for me.

This is exactly what in about to do :( what angel you getting?

Back
Top Bottom