New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffrock

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I have a quick question, i have a 125 gal. tank that i am going to set up in the next few weeks. i have 2 biowheel filters a sump built for a 75 gal. tank and a fluval FX5 canister filter, along with a protien skimmer and a uv sterilizer to install as well. I also have 2 hydor karalia 1400gph powerheads and a hydor wavemaker control.I also have a 40" spray bar that i will be conecting to the return line. This is what i have to get started so i would aprecheate any suggestions that i could get for the optimization of this tank from the get go! money is a little limited, so i need to optimize the resources that i have now.

Jeffrock said:
Hello,
I have a quick question, i have a 125 gal. tank that i am going to set up in the next few weeks. i have 2 biowheel filters a sump built for a 75 gal. tank and a fluval FX5 canister filter, along with a protien skimmer and a uv sterilizer to install as well. I also have 2 hydor karalia 1400gph powerheads and a hydor wavemaker control.I also have a 40" spray bar that i will be conecting to the return line. This is what i have to get started so i would aprecheate any suggestions that i could get for the optimization of this tank from the get go! money is a little limited, so i need to optimize the resources that i have now.

If it were my tank I'd ditch the bio-wheels, fluval, UV sterilizer, and spray bar. The bio-wheel and spray bar will cause salt creep and IMO aren't necessary. I would just run the tank, sump, protein skimmer and powerheads. You could sell the other equipment and add that money to the funding of this tank. What are you going to run for lighting?

lighting

Hi,

I have a coralife t5 lighting system that takes 4 bulbs, i bought it used and it has the bulbs in it but im not sure right now what they are. i am eventually going to run LED's. So, you say not to run the biowheels? i am going to have the spraybar hooked up to the return from the uv sterilizer cumming out of the sump.

A 4 bulb t5 will allow you to keep a good variety of corals.

The only reason I say ditch the bio-wheels and spray bar is that they might produce micro bubbles, which will give you alot of salt creep. Which is a pain in the butt.

Back
Top Bottom