New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skibum98391

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I set up a 15 gallon freshwater tank last week. I used the start up bacteria in a bottle, put in the plants, waited a few days and then added 3 guppies (my daughters choice....). They have been in 3 days now and I tested the water thinking I was going to have to do a change. Ammonia barely detectable, nitrite zero and nitrate 20. So, it is possible that the tank cycled that fast with the addition of the bacteria? Everything seems fine, water is clear, fish are active and hungry, temp is stable etc....

I don't have much experience with bacteria in a bottle, but from what I've read by other members who have used it some recommend it, some don't, some have had success and some it hasn't done anything for. Majority of members have said to keep things going it takes you having to keep dosing it because it wears off after a little while and then your back to square one and you no longer have a cycled tank. I would say just keep an eye on your water params, keep testing atleast everyday and just be prepared to dose again or just go for a fish in cycle to get your tank cycled.

You could always order preseeded sponges online and add the to the filter just to make sure it keeps going. JMO

Three days isn't too much time; if you're detecting any ammonia at all, even a trace, then no the tank isn't cycled and I doubt it would in three days. I suspect the levels will rise given a few more days. The plants may be helping keeping ammonia down as well. Have you tested your tap water for nitrate? It's also possible some came in with the plants. I'd keep testing for a while, I think you're just starting :)

That's what I was thinking, I was having a hard time believing the numbers. At work today so I won't be able to check until tomorrow, we will see. Thanks for the input. I will check the tap water too...

Annakhil said:
You could always order preseeded sponges online and add the to the filter just to make sure it keeps going. JMO

Do you have a link? Did a search without success....

Back
Top Bottom