new tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amberO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just got a new tank, its a fluval edge, 23 gallons. i have some questions. im on break and i have to get fish this week, how long does the tank have to be running befor i can put the fishies in? should i plant the plants in befor i put the fish in? what kind of substrate ahould i use? maybe you guys could give me some tips on, the whole process? thanks :)

I'm sure library girl if you were to pm her would give you links into starting a freshwater aquarium. Ideally you shouldn't be getting fish until it's cycled. Which can take weeks. For substrate I would of said sand. And plants can go in before fish.

Make sure the tanks been running for 24 hours and add bacteria to the tank. It's sold at fish stores I think it has the word cycle somewhere in the title. It makes it safe to add fish and adds benifical bacteria. It came with my fluval tank. After its been running for a day u can go to the fish store and get a few fish. Do not stock your tank all at once. U need the tank to cycle fully.so get a few hardy fish like 2-4 fish. Some suggestions would be black skirt tetras, zebra danios, anything that is hardy (ask your local fish store) I used mollies and they were fine. So after adding ur fish wait a month or more then get your water tested at the local fish store. If the tank is cycled then you can add some more fishes,good luck!

Make sure the tanks been running for 24 hours and add bacteria to the tank. It's sold at fish stores I think it has the word cycle somewhere in the title. It makes it safe to add fish and adds benifical bacteria. It came with my fluval tank. After its been running for a day u can go to the fish store and get a few fish. Do not stock your tank all at once. U need the tank to cycle fully.so get a few hardy fish like 2-4 fish. Some suggestions would be black skirt tetras, zebra danios, anything that is hardy (ask your local fish store) I used mollies and they were fine. So after adding ur fish wait a month or more then get your water tested at the local fish store. If the tank is cycled then you can add some more fishes,good luck!

No don't do that. Some is true, some is not. BB is correct about not wanting to add fish all at once, and adding hardy fish, but don't use that bacteria in a bottle. It really doesn't work most of the time. Some does, some does not. Also, DON'T get your water tested an a fish store. They use strips. They don't work.

Here is what you need to get:

Gravel. I use Eco complete in black in my 25. So far I really love it. It looks nice, and works well.

Decor. Driftwood, plants, live or fake, extra rocks, anything you want really as long as it's for the aquarium.

Water Test Kit. Get an API Master Freshwater test kit. That way you can test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Filter. A Hang on Back Power filter would work well for your tank.

Heater. 100 watt adjustable

Lights. I have dual t5 lighting on my 25. It is very bright and will allow my to grow high light plants along with my co2 system and dry ferts I will dose.

Here is what you need to do before you add fish.

Cycle your tank. Basically, you add an ammonia source, which could be fish food, a frozen shrimp, or pure ammonia cleaner. You dose it up to 4ppm. Eventually bacteria will convert the ammonia into a less toxic (but still deadly) nitrite. The ammonia levels will go down, and you will see a nitrite spike. Then another type of bacteria will convert the nitrite into nitrate, which you will want under 20 ppm. The ammonia and nitrite you want to always be at 0 ppm.

After the cycle has finished, you can slowly start adding fish to your aquarium.

What kind of fish are you interested in? Good beginner fish are
Platies, (no mollies, those are brackish, not freshwater) guppies, sword tails, some tetras, danios, some gouramis, hatchet fish, endlers live bearers ( cousin of the guppy. Most of the fish I listed are live bearers. This means they give birth to live fry and not eggs. So, you can easily over populate your tank. So you will want to keep all males.

Let me know what kind of fish you are interested in, and I can help you from there.

:)

thanks so much! i hv all the stuff u said, i have a nice heater, water stuff, all the goods (; im either going tomarrow or the next say to pick up some gravel and live plants. what ate the best plants to get? i sould like some that cover a large area and are sorta grassy, i dont know if that would be to difficult to keep up though. i think for fish i sould like maybe 3 small tetras, and one fish thats just a bit bigger. thanks for all the advice :)

I have done 2 experiments so far with cycling products. The first time was in a 55 using ATM's cycle product. The second time was in a 20 using the same product. In the 20 it seemed like is may have cut down the cycle time by about a week. Took about 3 weeks to cycle. In the 55 it made no measurable difference with my cycle taking 5 weeks. The cycle products definitely don't cycle your tank. The aquarium still goes through the full cycle with ammonia and nitrite spikes.

As far as plants I am quite a noobie when it comes to planted tanks. I have a variety of swords and some anacharis in my tank and they seem to be really easy to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom