New Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just made a deal on craigslist for a 72 x 18 x 23. It is either a 100 gallon or 125 gallon, I am not quite sure. It is 23 inches tall including the little wooden band around the top and bottom of the tank, and 19 inches tall while only measuring the glass part. If anyone would like to chime in and correct me on this feel free.

It comes with a fx5, power head, and heater.

I'm thinking of getting black sand for it because I saw some pictures of some other tanks with it and it looked pretty cool. any idea on what kind of sand is best and where I can get it cheaper in bulk?

Filtration wise I haven't decided on what else I should get. I want the water to look very clear so I wont hesitate to over filtrate. Any suggestions on some filters I should get? I have another tank with mbuna that is 120 gallon with a fx6, rena xp4 and fluval 306, they seem to be doing a good job together.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any ideas!

Will this be a saltwater tank or fresh like your other tank?

The reason I ask is that on a tank that large you probably shouldnt run a canister filter. Too much waste and the nitrates would likely build extremely quickly.
I have used canisters on saltwater before but always on a smaller tank, even then it was ALOT of work to keep it clean.

Have you considered a sump? Is the tank drilled?

Not sure yet. I'd like to get a couple different south/central american cichlids and maybe a breeding pair

Sweet always good to hear about someone who is into the New World cichlids! In a tank like that you could have some nice size fish that's for sure! You will have to keep us updated.

In a 125 I would always reccomend first an Oscar before anything else.

Option #1 Something like 1- Oscar
5- Silver Dollars
1- Featherfin Catfish
1- Jack Dempsey

Or you could get

option #2 Oscar breeding pair

Option #3.Or 1- Jack Demosey
1- Blur Acara
1- Convict or fire mouth
8- Giant Danios
1- Featherfin Catfish or smaller pleco like a rhino pleco.

Option #4 Or a pair of Jaguar Cichlids.

Or a group of smaller cichlids

Option # 5 Like 1- fire mouth
1- convict
1- blue Acara
1- larger pleco or larger catfish and a school of dither fish like 8-9 red torpedo barbs or giant danios

Really there are so many possibilities its crazy which new works cichlids are you interested in? Also from what I researched a 72x18x23 is a 135 gallon tank.

Thanks for your help. What about this?

1 female jack dempsey to go along with the male that's in there now
1-2 green terror. If I do 2 it will be male and female
2 convict cichlids male and female
1 oscar
Some kind of catfish or bottom feeder

I wouldn't do breeding pairs because your tank will quickly become a blood bath. How big is the male JD you have now?

Also instead of Green Terrors I find them way to aggressive why not do a blue Acara they look about the same and are not aggressive at all compared to a GT.

I would do a stock of
1- JD
1- Oscar
1- Blue Acara
1- Convict
1- Featherfin Catfish, striped Raphael catfish or perhaps a blue phantom pleco or gold nugget pleco. Sorry for that double post.

Back
Top Bottom