new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do mushrooms move? I have one that is glued to a rock by a piece of rubble he attached himself to. It looks like he is extending his foot and moving down the rock onto the sand bed

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes they're mobile when they want to be, they can let go all the way and float off, or slowly work they're way to where they want to go

Thanks guys. I did just put the new light on a few weeks ago but its turned all the way down my old lights par where the shrooms are was 37 the new reading is 48. Do you think its light are could it be flow. I moved it to a less flow area

Just an update. It has been so freaking busy around here. My 14 month old is cutting teeth. The company I work for is promoting me and we have to pack up are house and move 10 hours away in 2 weeks. I don't think I'll be on here very much the next month or so but I will return. Glad you see most of you are doing well. See y'all in a few

Just an update. It has been so freaking busy around here. My 14 month old is cutting teeth. The company I work for is promoting me and we have to pack up are house and move 10 hours away in 2 weeks. I don't think I'll be on here very much the next month or so but I will return. Glad you see most of you are doing well. See y'all in a few

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We are moving to Canton GA. Thyssenkrupp made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Should be fun. Im not sure about the weather. Im a true Floridian, sun surf and sand is all I know. I guess I'll have to get use to mountains lakes and streams

Hey msjk just to warn you I live in ga and we have bipolar weather lol

I hope that means this winter will be less polar than last year

The move is on. I've been in GA since my last post. We closed on a house Dec, 19th and we move in the fourth. Can't wait. Well I can't wait to be there. But the packing is killing me. I will be taking the tank down the third and packing it for the 12 hour drive. Should be interesting. My wife did a great job caring for the tank while I was gone. I can't believe how much coraline can grow in just under two month's. The starfish are taking over the tank this will be a good time to get rid of a few of them. Last count 35 in a 17 gallon tank. And they all came from just two hitchhiker I got a year ago

Attachments

• 1419723263932.jpg
    1419723263932.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 52
Sounds like fun! Those stars reproduce quick. I take them out as soon as I see one

IM BACK. The tank and most of the inhabitants survived. I lost a fish a few days after being here. My frog spawn and my rastas died as well. Since my last post over a year ago I've been battling this tank. Three different types of algae and a terrible maintenance schedule with my new job and NOW a 2 year old, lets just say its been a ride. Its nice to be back and I'm looking forward to talking to you all again.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hey welcome back! I do have a few questions for you.

1. I heard you weren't suppose to lean your LR against the glass. Is that how yours is? In my nano I haven't done that.

2. In a few months I will have to move my nano tank as well. How did you go about doing so? My drive is 5.5hours not 12. So it shouldn't be as bad.

In some places my lr is touching the glass. Its really just a preference. If you want your tank to be easy to clean with nothing in your way of curbing the glass then that probably the way to go. I personally don't mind the glass a little algae where the rock is on my glass. Ive found that a few little places like this give the pods a place to breed and hide out.

Now the move saw a huge deal. I baged every coral separately. I got the bags from my lfs. I put the fish in a 5 gallon bucket with a airator from a fishing store. I bagged up all my wet filer material so it stayed moist. All the lr went into other 5 gallon buckets. then i put all the water from my tank into the lr buckets. I brought with my 20% fresh saltwater for my arrival. I discarded all the sand from the tank. Don't reuse your sand!
I have the truck completely loaded the night before except the tank. I woke up 3 hours before we were set the leave and started on the tank. Once everyone was bagged up and in buckets we loaded up and left. Every 3 hours i stopped and did about a 50% WC in the buxket the fish were in the keep the ammonia in check. This all went down in the winter which Im sure helped a lot. Once we arrived the tank got set up first. I used all the old water and topped of with the new water i brought with me. The next day i did the big water change.

Okay great! that's how I plan on doing mine as well. Did you not have a heater with your fishes?

I am now considering to re-scape my tank now that I know it's not a detrimental thing to have the LR on the tank walls. I'll show you what my tank currently looks like. It's still in it's youth stages.

This is currently what it looks like but I'm thinking of splitting up my live rock to opposite corners of the tank.

Opinions? (By no means am I trying to hijack your thread! I actually have one of my own already going)

Attachments

• 1452738871289.jpg
    1452738871289.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 53
Its all good. This thread is a good place for everyone to post pics and ask questions. My tank is tall and narrow or i would have split my rock. I love the island scape look. I would recommend you getting some more bry rock. These nanos need all the filtration they can get. Im currently at 30lbs in my 17 gallon tank.

Back to the move. I packed the bagged up coral in a soft kooler and in the truck. I didnt put a heater in with the fish and I'll tell you why. The cooler the water the less oxygen they use. The temperature in the cab was comfortable to my so i knew it was probably just fine for them.

My lights are off right now but here a pic. Im in the process of buying more coral and a few more rocks.
4f7638ec3a5e65cf8f9e62b770aafa36.jpg
1ab5dbe80a51e0bdd9ba502545dfa05b.jpg

You can see from the second picture even where the rock is touching the glass its not too dirty

That isn't bad at all! Your tank looks good too! I do plan on adding more LR or even dead rock now.. but slowly. I am on a college budget so I am not rushing the reef. I do want to add corals but I think my tank is far too knew to even try. I think I am going to move my LR I have now to separate corners though. I love the look of it, I was just hesitant of putting the rock on the glass.

Okay that makes sense and makes for a lot of pressure released. I have an outlet in my jeep incase I needed to plug in a heater for my fish.. but my heat will most likely be on in my car so i plan on just doing it with the normal car temp now.

Are you also running 2 powerheads in your tank? I only have 1 and now idk if i can do the separate island look because i don't think I will be able to hit dead spots in both "islands"

I do have an extra power head but it seems to be WAY too strong for the tank. it's 1200+ GPH

Back
Top Bottom