New to AA and Saltwater! Looking for some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I is an Eclipse hood. so it has the lighting and filtration built in. I have been trying to see if I could house any corals but its not looking so hot with the current lighting so I may end up having to remove the hood completely and get a new lighting and filtration set up. Only problem is I have 2 Huskies and they shed like crazy so dog hair getting into the water is a real issue. I have no problem with getting a second PH if it will help.

Well you could build a canopy for the tank and put your lighting inside that and set on top of the tank. Then just have a slot in the back for a HOB filter?! Looks great and welcome to the hobby! Or i should say Lifestyle :)

Your right about the Lifestyle thing. I never thought I would care so much about a tank of water! I considered building a canopy but I know myself and I am SOOO not handy enough to build things. Im good at alot of things but building stuff is not my specialty.

also. Im going to pick up my next fish tomorrow. Ima see if they have a yellow head goby, if not I may pick up a coral beauty. Get excited!

Last edited:
sqrle, I have looked at the yellow headed goby. I have a 3ft tank, do you think that after a small amount of time they would have the sub straight so clean they would starve themselves to death??

I think that are fascinating things. I have a lawnmower in my smaller tank, but would love to have a pair of yellow headed gobys (gobi)

Any sand sifter would eventually need to be fed, whether it be direct or through the routine feedings. Make sure you have a fine sand grain or they can injure their mouth/gills.

What you be the food of choice for a yellow headed goby?
I also believe they should be kept in pairs, is that correct?

So I picked up a couple new additions this weekend! (See Pictures)
I think I can get One more fish then im all done. Im thinking that my ast fish will be a Coral Beauty. Would that work or is that overstocking?

Also, I went to my grandfathers house for his 80th B-Day over the weekend and he had a fish tank out in his garage. I told him about my new hobby and he gave me the tank. Not sure of the size. May be 55 or 75 gallons. It was too big to fit in my car so my brother is bringing it to me. I will probably be starting a new thread for it and will be posting all the progress.

Attachments

• P4130008.jpg
    P4130008.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 64
  • P4130010.jpg
    P4130010.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 84
sqrle, I have looked at the yellow headed goby. I have a 3ft tank, do you think that after a small amount of time they would have the sub straight so clean they would starve themselves to death??

I think that are fascinating things. I have a lawnmower in my smaller tank, but would love to have a pair of yellow headed gobys (gobi)

Mine eats other foods to. I make my own food, but mysis shrimp, or brine shrimp will normaly be taken as part of their diet. They just scavenge the sand bed a lot.

my new 60

I called my brother and he took some measurements on the tank for me. It turned out to be: 48½W x 15½W x 19½T – On line calculator says its 63 gallons!

So now I have decisions to make. Any and all advice is Greatly appreciated.
I am going do the build on the 60 gallon very very slowly so that I don’t screw it up, and so I can refill the ol’ bank account as I go.
I need to figure out what to do with the 29 gallon that I have now. Before I acquired the 60 I wanted to upgrade the lighting on the 29 so I could add corals and I still want to do that. Is it possible to get a T5 light fixture that’s 24” long to put on the 29, and when im ready, get another 24” fixture and put them both on the 60? If so, then I can transfer the contents of the 29 to the 60 and make the 29 a Sump. I know nothing about Sumps besides it is a really good idea to have one and I would need an overflow since the tank is not drilled.

The other idea is to go without a Sump and make the 29 into a Frag tank. That way I could still do the lighting upgrade and when the 60 is built, just make the transfer and start the frag tank build.

I hope that all made sense. And please let me know what yall think about these senarios!

Dan I don't think the 24" has enough power to penetrate 19 1/2' on the new tank. A 48" t-5 ho has 54 watts of power. and even at that you will have to raise some corals up a bit.

I haven't gone through the build, but what kind of corals do you wish to keep? A "roundabout" general rule with T5's are: 24w under 12", 36w under 20", 54w over 20".

Im still reading up on corals. Being a beginner I want to start with corals more suited to my skill level.I realize that there is no "easy" coral but I think I want to start with the ones that have the lower light requirements. So what would be a good lighting setup for my 29 gallon? its 19" tall.

Long time away!

Wow I have not been on in 10 months! Too long.
First things first, My 29G tanks is still running smoothly. My plans to upgrade to the 60 is still in the works but has been put on the back burner since I recently got engaged and all my funds are going to the wedding!

My Fiance is very supportive of all my hobbies so she is cool with me fixing up my current set up to accomodate some corals.

I am looking at this light fixture: Current USA 24" Sundial T-5 Fixture 4x24W.

Will this fixture support some corals?

Back
Top Bottom