New to african cichlids, need advice on first mbuna tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

93MSB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive been reading into african cichlids and I want to start a mbuna tank in the near future. I want a tank that has fish with bold colors as well as interesting social behavior. I have community tanks with colorful good looking fish, but sometimes they seem a little lazy and boring. I have bolivian rams and love how they interact with each other.

As far as a tank setup goes, I have my eye on a 60gal acrylic tank measuring 48x15x18. I also plan on adding a 10-20 gallon sump system for filtration. I have never built a sump before but I understand the concept. If anyone has any tips or good guides to follow for a freshwater sump system any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, what are everyones feelings about manzanita in a mbuna tank assuming it was a small amount and the ph wasnt affected

I have been reading up on pseudotropheus demasoni, and its my favorite so far. I think its a beautiful fish and it seems that a lot of people like them because they have an interesting personality, which is exactly what im looking for. I have read to keep them in large groups of 10-12+ which is what i would do.

I would also like to add 2 more species if possible. I see a lot people add the yellow labs to add more color, which I love the look of. I also like the white tail acei, but im not sure if it would really be compatible.

Since the demasoni is on the more aggressive side, would this really be a setup you think a cichlid novice could handle? (im not saying i cant handle a challenge though!) Is there maybe a stocking path where i could gain knowledge with 4-5 yellow labs and 4-5 acei then add the demasoni later?

I would really like to hear some experiences with demasoni, and im definitley open to other options of fish.

I don't know a lot on the keeping of this species in particular but the manzanita won't continually drop your ph noticeably after the first soaking.

Back
Top Bottom