New to Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KC D 1991

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I recently started my first African cichlid tank. I've kept an aquarium containing angels, corys, and tetras for several years now. Now i want a change. I currently have a 75 gallon tank and im running a fluval 406 canister filter and plan on adding a second one soon. The tank has been running for about 2 months and all of my water parameters are good, but i need help with stocking. I've bought fish but i want to start narrowing down the numbers to the ones i want to keep. Right now there is 12 demosoni, 7 yellow labs, 7 some sort of hongi, 3 albino socofoli, and 3 venustus. I would like to keep a single female of the venustus just for the patterning because I'm sure the male will be to big for the demosoni. I'm up for any other stocking ideas as well thanks for the help. Oh and all of the fish are 2 inches or less

Thank you for the relpy. At this point im trying to narrow them down to a sustainable number. I want to keep 4 labs, 4 hongi, and the albinos. What are your thoughts on the demosoni should i keep them or try something else ive been told i should keep atleast 12

That's because there conspecific aggersion is high. I have managed to keep a single one. But I would suggest maybe a zebra type, polits are nice too and stay small. (Pic attached)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130914_095554.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130914_095554.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20130914_095603.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130914_095603.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 66
Thats a great looking fish. I went back to the fish store today and went ahead and traded off all but one demosoni. Im not sure how he or she will behave by itsself but so far so good. I picked up a 5 inch ventustus that is showing some great colors. He was in with sevral small fish and seemed to be pretty laid back. Hopefully he dosent become a bully im my tank.

My single Dem has worked so far for me its been like a year and some change.

Back
Top Bottom