New to Cichilds looking for somde advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gotgutz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Considering converting my community tank into a Cichild tank. I know they prefer rocks more so so I was seeing what everyone's opinion would be for the set up I currently have as to if it would work for cichlids. I have a 37 tall. Was thinking 2-3 Africans with a school of 6 barbs and bottom dweller (haven't Decided which kind). I am running a penguin 200 as my filter. This is my current set up

image-1101025698.jpg

Thanks for the help don't want to have unhappy and fish fighting amongst each other.

Your tank is set up more for rams or angel cichlids. Africans won't do well in that tank and your chances of fighting will be pretty high.

Your tank is set up more for rams or angel cichlids. Africans won't do well in that tank and your chances of fighting will be pretty high.

Alright angelfish sounds good. I was considering them but leaned toward the Africans for the colors. Will the angles be ok with the barbs and would a Cory cat be able to live with them?

Do angle fish mate easily? And should i get two females and one male?

I honestly wouldn't get angelfish they are extremely boring IMO. Do you want a single pair of medium sized cichlids that will breed and actually have kind of cool personality even though they are pretty aggressive. If you wanna do this I would get a pair of firemouths or a pair of convict cichlids I wouldn't get any other tankmates if you went this route. Or I would get ram cichlids like Bolivian rams if you went this direction I would get 1 male 2 female rams, 1 BN Pleco or 5 Cory catfish you could choose the type you like best. Then I you could probably do a school of like 6 serape tetras or 6 black skirt tetras.

The apistogrammas look really neat. Saw on liveaquaria that they are a difficult fish to keep and in no expert ha. The rams seem like try are with in my range though. I am not looking to breed them so could I get 2 females and be ok? I figured two males would be aggressive to each other. And then I like pelcos but don't I need a bigger tank? And will I be ok with just one?

I wouldn't say any cichlid is more advanced then the other. If you are religious on your water changes and cleanings I feel like anyone can keep anything. Yes there are more hardy types but just because you have a hardy fish don't make it right to slack off.

Look up bristle nose plecos, the top out at like 8". Might be a option for you.

I wouldn't say any cichlid is more advanced then the other. If you are religious on your water changes and cleanings I feel like anyone can keep anything. Yes there are more hardy types but just because you have a hardy fish don't make it right to slack off.

Look up bristle nose plecos, the top out at like 8". Might be a option for you.

Yea understand. I do a 5 gal change once a week so i should be ok. Hopefully i can find these fish local as I don't have many choices for lfs. Most are salt water driven as well and don't carry much fw stock.

Ok I knew they produced more waste but I wasn't sure what to up it too. So after looking around for stocking would two rams, a bn pleco and then a school of 6 either tiger barb or terra work?

Is there another fish that could be just as beneficial that would work with what I have?

I don't like algae "eaters" if you don't leave the light on for 50 hours a day you shouldn't have that problem. So I'm not to knowledgable with those types of fish. I know ottos are a very good alternative but if I remember right they should only be added to well established tanks.

Yea I can understand. I have used Cory cats but that is it.

I would do a blood parrot tank cause they are vertical swimmers...I have a blood parrot with giant danio's in a 30g hexagon tank he loves it and he has a great personality.

Back
Top Bottom