New to cichlids :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all! I'm new to cichlids, I am somewhat new to the hobby, I had fish about 4 years ago for a year or so and about 6 months ago got back into the hobby, have fallen in love with Bolivian rams :) I currently have two in a 30g community tank I am aiming to breed. Pretty sure I have a male and female, I've been reading a ton of articles about how to sex them but I will admit I am a little confused. The most recent article I've read said that the easiest way to tell them apart is by the anal fin, a males is more squarish and has more points/angles and sometimes shorter while a females is usually longer and more of a round shape. How true is this? I really want to be successful a breeding them. The first ram I got last Friday I believe is female, and I got what I believe is a male yesterday. They have been in the tank together for a little over 24 hours now. The one I believe is a female has been chasing the male around a lot. Not hurting him, just chasing and acting like she will bite but never does. I've also read a ton about breeding and the behaviors a male displays while courting, and I've noticed the one I think is a male doing what I think are tail whips and body curving a lot. The female just doesnt seem to want any part in it at all. What you guys recommend I do next? I'm considering going back to LFS and getting another female tomorrow. If things get to ugly I do have a spare 30g I can get set up for the rams specifically. I have two filters running on my community 30g they are in, an aqua tech 30-60g and an aqueon quiet flow 30 that are both cycled
and mature, I first started out with a 10g that I fish in cycled with two platies and transfered some filter media from it to cycle my 30g and havent had a mini cycle to speak of thankfully. Any info/advice you want to give is greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom