New to fish keeping and now I read this from PETA.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amit.rajaram

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I've just been into the fish habit for about a month and a half with a 36g bowfront that should just about be cycled fully soon. I have 4 guppies and 2 platys in there right now (started with Tetra SafeStart).

I've thoroughly enjoyed the fish (as have my kids) and find it extremely cathartic, but have just come across this article from PETA suggesting keeping fish is cruel.

9 Reasons Why Fish Are Really Sad 'Pets' | Companion Animals| Living | PETA

Now I'm feeling a mix of guilt and annoyance. I am assuaging my guilt by convincing myself that by keeping guppies, mollies and platys, all of which are available in abundance in nature, as well as keeping the aquarium clean and stable, most of what is mentioned there does not apply to what I'm doing.

Annoyed at statements like "Do not support shops like Petsmart that put profits first". If there is a big business that puts profit second, I've still to meet one. And if profitable businesses are to be avoided, then I hope the author of that article never fills a tank of gas and takes his/her cycle everywhere instead.

Thoughts people?

Hi,

I've just been into the fish habit for about a month and a half with a 36g bowfront that should just about be cycled fully soon. I have 4 guppies and 2 platys in there right now (started with Tetra SafeStart).

I've thoroughly enjoyed the fish (as have my kids) and find it extremely cathartic, but have just come across this article from PETA suggesting keeping fish is cruel.

9 Reasons Why Fish Are Really Sad 'Pets' | Companion Animals| Living | PETA

Now I'm feeling a mix of guilt and annoyance. I am assuaging my guilt by convincing myself that by keeping guppies, mollies and platys, all of which are available in abundance in nature, as well as keeping the aquarium clean and stable, most of what is mentioned there does not apply to what I'm doing.

Annoyed at statements like "Do not support shops like Petsmart that put profits first". If there is a big business that puts profit second, I've still to meet one. And if profitable businesses are to be avoided, then I hope the author of that article never fills a tank of gas and takes his/her cycle everywhere instead.

Thoughts people?

Rule #1 - Dont ever listen or read anything from PETA. They have more issues than Playboy magazine. They are basically a cult.

Rule #2 - See Rule #1

I love how they use banggai cardinals as an example. A commonly bred very popular fish. In fact they are one of the easier fish to breed in the salt water hobby and many are tank raised.

Next they use a lion fish as an example of a fish that is "stolen" from the wild. The fish that has single handedly caused more damage to the florida reefs than the entire aquarium industry.

These people are nuts.

I think they have a lot of valid arguments....ie the truth behind animals in the circus or seaworld but they do go to extremes...
I don't think they are nuts but devoted to a cause and maybe they take it a little too far in some aspects
Fish keeping is a great hobby and if you're good at it hopefully no fish are hurt...it's giving your kids a look at "life" and keeping them from the tv! How could that be wrong? ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

News for PETA

1. Animals eat animals

2. Nobody cares.

Surfnturf
img_3127693_0_d852cf44d31437630f21c54efdb339b5.jpg

2 discus
1 dwarf gourami
1 german blue ram
2 golden wonder killifish
4 harlequin rasboras
5 corydoras
And a bunch of plants in a 20 long
Eheim 2213 and tom aquatics canister filters
Finnex planted plus

I like that they mention fish stolen from the wild and then slam fish bred on farms ???

So being against over collection I get. But then also being against captive breeding ?

Silly stuff.

Yes, I do care for my fish. They are more than breathing decorations.
Which is why I stock appropriate fish for my size tank. I always buy CB when I can. I discourage newbies from buying and killing less common more sensitive species. Like Denison Barbs.

Lol I feel sorry for those fish, but then again they would have died anyway when they end up, severed in half without heads, on someones plate. Just saying, they were going to die anyway.

Nils

Shut up peta!! Over funded bloviating bleeding hearts..didn't the president put in her will something pertaining to a public human buffet?? Coocooo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Rule #1 - Dont ever listen or read anything from PETA. They have more issues than Playboy magazine. They are basically a cult.

Rule #2 - See Rule #1

Haha, Rule #1 - You do not talk about PETA.

Rule #2 - You do NOT talk about PETA.

That article is funny. Don't buy fish! It's bad.... Mmkay? Oh, but if you already have them that's cool. Just take care of them properly. Thanks PETA! Will do! Are they also against people having cats and dogs as pets? Tank and farm raised fish are no different than buying a puppy from a breeder... I do agree that care should be taken when harvesting animals and coral from the wild though.

Ashamed? So, in the wild, yeah they may be free, but they face, predators, fisherman, starvation, and diseases.And, some species, like the Imperial Loach (leptobotia elongata) NEED to be bred and raised in aquariums, because they are endangered in the wild. As far as i know (i may be wrong) fish can see you in three ways: 1#(more common):Food Giver 2#:Family 3#:Friend.And, also humans can view fish in three ways:
1#: ornament 2#:pet 3#: companion.So, you see, nothing bad about the hobby.

Lung Fish

Back
Top Bottom