New to Golds in SoFLA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldsGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,
I came to be the keepers of four comets after going to a local fair with friends. One was given to our group from some teenagers who were giving him away, and the other three were won later.
I never really had fish before, and didn't know anything about them. Although I had previously thought about having a SW tank before.
Because I was new, initially purchased a 10-gal tank and then after much research, upgraded to a 55-gal soon thereafter.
I have plenty of plants, sand substrate and recently added six nerite zebra snails to clean up the diatoms.
All my parameters are excellent. Friends say they think they are in heaven once they see the tank.
It's definitely become a hobby and I"m enjoying it very much.
Plan on getting a bigger tank once they grow a bit. Didn't want to invest too much too early.
They are four young comets around 2" each (give or take).
Anyway, I used this app on my phone for lots of advice, and decided to post a profile. Added photos of my tank on my profile.
Plan long-term is to upgrade to a much bigger tank and/or rehome one or two to someone with a pond, unless I end up buying a home. Condo currently.
Anyway, looking forward to getting lots of advice in the near future.

Jeff

Welcome, I am also new to this forum, I am also in Sfl. Nice tank hope to see more updates from your progress.

Thanks everyone. Yeah considering I received the comets on November 12 at a fair in a bag and all still living and thriving. They are very healthy, active and growing.

e30 gangsta said:
fw I'm just starting. :) And ill take any help I can get lol.

Well I'm fairly new myself, but have done quite a bit of reading and research. My fish are comet golds, so pretty hardy. But I have read enough to avoid some of the common pitfalls. What fish you have?

Would definitely be willing to assist you. Feel free to ask for help when needed.

Where in south Florida?

Jeff

I'm from Miami midtown to be exact. I had, a black Molly, a balloon Molly, a glo fish, a guppie tequila sunrise guppie, a Mickey mouse platy, a rubber lip, and a bottom feeder catfish.

I woke up this morning and 5 of them died. so today I have to go back and test my water and tap to see what I'm working with and go from there.

I live in Hollywood, FL. Have you researched the compatibilty of these fish with regard to water parameters? From my readings, it varies which like hard/soft water and/or higher or lower PH as well as temp of the water. Since you have a community tank, it's important to make sure they are all compatible with regard to the environment.

That sucks you had so many die on you. I remember almost dreading to walk into my living room some morning when my tank was cycling for the fear of seeing one of my golds floating. I wasn't expecting to become attached to them like I have.

I'm assuming you are cycling with fish? I had to do that to as I didn't have an option because of winning my golds at a fair and had to quickly purchase a tank, etc.

You definitely may want to cycle with the one remaining fish for a bit to grow the BB (beneficial bacteria) and then slowly add other fish you want.

That sucks you had so many die on you. I remember almost dreading to walk into my living room some morning when my tank was cycling for the fear of seeing one of my golds floating. I wasn't expecting to become attached to them like I have.

I'm assuming you are cycling with fish? I had to do that to as I didn't have an option because of winning my golds at a fair and had to quickly purchase a tank, etc.

You definitely may want to cycle with the one remaining fish for a bit to grow the BB (beneficial bacteria) and then slowly add other fish you want.[/QUOTE]

I have read on these fish and what they like. Community tropical fish like a ph of 7.0 and a temp range of 72 to 82. My tank is currently set at 76. Yes im cycling with fish. When I first started my tank, I used

de chlorinator
water conditioner
2 rounded table spoons of salt
and a bacteria starter.

I think where I messed up was putting so many fish in at once. Hence why I got a nasty ph spike. I hope when i get home the rest of my buddies are still there. If not I might just restart the whole process all over again.

e30 gangsta said:

You definitely may want to cycle with the one remaining fish for a bit to grow the BB (beneficial bacteria) and then slowly add other fish you want.

I have read on these fish and what they like. Community tropical fish like a ph of 7.0 and a temp range of 72 to 82. My tank is currently set at 76. Yes im cycling with fish. When I first started my tank, I used

de chlorinator
water conditioner
2 rounded table spoons of salt
and a bacteria starter.

I think where I messed up was putting so many fish in at once. Hence why I got a nasty ph spike. I hope when i get home the rest of my buddies are still there. If not I might just restart the whole process all over again.[/QUOTE]

Are you using tap water? I never used tap. I used bottled drinking or spring water.
I didn't really use any bacteria starter except when I went with the larger tank. Used water from the old tank and the filter from the old filter.
I'm not sure about using salt as too much could prevent BB from growing. I would use Prime which detoxes the ammonia and nitrite but keep it available for the BB to use to multiply.
I put some crushed coral in my filter to buffer water and never had an issue with my ph.

e30 gangsta said:
I used prime as the conditioner. And unfortunately I used tap water :(

Well Prime should detox the tap water. However I would test your tap water for ammonia etc. it's possible the tap could have high levels of ammonia, nitrate etc.

I know city water can vary day to day, why I went with Publix spring water. Also use half RO water from All Pets Emporium as its cheaper. They buffer it to 7 ph.

I would just do several small PWC with existing fish until your tank is cycled. Do small PWCs to keep ammonia and nitrite to low levels as possible.

GoldsGuy said:
Well Prime should detox the tap water. However I would test your tap water for ammonia etc. it's possible the tap could have high levels of ammonia, nitrate etc.

I know city water can vary day to day, why I went with Publix spring water. Also use half RO water from All Pets Emporium as its cheaper. They buffer it to 7 ph.

I would just do several small PWC with existing fish until your tank is cycled. Do small PWCs to keep ammonia and nitrite to low levels as possible.

Btw any photos of your tank?

I do have photos, but they are not hosted. once I get home I'll post some. If I get home and the tank fully crashes( all my fish die) then I'll redo it with public water and ro. with my newly acquired information.

e30 gangsta said:
I do have photos, but they are not hosted. once I get home I'll post some. If I get home and the tank fully crashes( all my fish die) then I'll redo it with public water and ro. with my newly acquired information.

Look forward to seeing your tank. You have two tanks you are cycling?
The main things which kill fish are high ammonia and nitrite levels. A sudden pH crash can cause deaths but that's not likely with tap water which has minerals in it. I would test for ammonia and nitrite.
Are you using the iPhone app here? If so download AquaPlanner Pro app. Helps me track and monitor my water parameters.

Let me know how it goes.

Btw Jeff here. Good luck man. Hope your fish are ok when u get home.

My name is Guillermo, pleasure to meet you.

1 tank. And yeah my nitrite and ammonia looked ok on the strips, but im going home to test it with the api master kit i just bought to get a accurate reading. If im higher than .20 nitrite or ammonia ill be doing %25 pwc until it gets better.

No iphone here :( I wish.

Back
Top Bottom