New to Nano's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceans n Indy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought my wife and kids a nano tank after having our 55 gal reef tank going for the last year. With that said, we also bought a cleaner wrasse while at the LFS, however, it is being attacked while still in the bag going through the acclimation process. I have LS and also some cycled LS from the LFS. Bought the LR as well. Our question would be, can we take water from my established 55 gal tank and put in new nano tank with the LS and LR and put the wrasse in it right away rather than putting in big tank and getting consumed by other livestock. Go easy on me, this is my first nano and posting ever.

Well, I only have freshwater experience, but I think I do know this: No, you can't because although water cane be somewhat "aged", there is no beneficial bacteria in it. You need to fully cycle the tank, and I would put the wrasse in the 55 for now or in a small container with the 55 water, gravel or sand and whatever else in that container. You could poke holes in the container so it's just like part of the aquarium, but roped off for V.I.P personnel. But still, you need to fully cycle the nano tank. Good luck!

Nils

You can keep the fish in a separate tank if absolutely needed, BUT you really should cycle the tank first. If you are adding enough live rock you might be ok as it might be enough to work with just one fish.
How big is this nano and what is in the 55g that is a potential threat to the cleaner wrasse?
As a side note, cleaner wrasses do not fare very well in home aquariums typically. I've kept so many fish and still have yet to try a cleaner wrasse because of their difficult reputation.

Well....bad to worse now. I bought the nano and stand from my - up to now dependable - marine specialty LFS and have discovered during the leak test, that indeed it leaks ?. So for now, I have put a dividing wall up in the 55 and have the wrasse in it, protecting it from Mr. Porcupine Puffer. What do I do with the leak if my LFS says I'm on my own, I don't think they will because I've been working with them for over a year, but I guess there's always that chance. Is my cycled live sand from the LFS ok in the inch of water it is sitting in, or does it need something else while we solve the problem with the cube?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If I know I will have standing water I try to put in a powerhead to at least keep circulation going.
I hope your lfs comes through.....it's not a huge issue for him to have your back, I mean really, you could spend hundreds if not thousands of $$$ in there in the future. If he doesnt stand behind the tank I would definitely go else where for your aquaria needs. even if its out of your way and further away. Businesses need to know that our hard earned dollars go to the store with the best service, selection and price. If he balks at all, just slyly mention that youve been going there for however long and you really dont want to try anyone else and would like to keep that store as your main store. :)
I never "threaten", I just say it like it is. He is in business to make money from you and you are in control of your money so it shouldnt be a problem.

Sorry for rattling on, lol, things like this really get to me sometimes.

Absolutely, customer service is number one in my book. I will pay double for the same item at the store that is interested in "helping" me and not "selling" me when I am looking to hand out my Benjamin's. We are putting a call into them today since they are closed on Monday's ( we both might be lucky on that because of the cool down period I've had), tbc... In the meantime I have my sand and water circulating in a 10 gallon tank we are not using for anything currently. Will keep everyone posted on the LFS saga, and start a picture timeline as the nano tank progresses. Also will be needing lots of help in the near future picking out the set up and equipment for our new 225 gal tank I just bought a couple of weeks ago.

Well what a relief it is...my awesome marine LFS came through and expressed their apologies for the leaky used nano cube that I took home from there. They wanted to refund the full price or if they had another one of similar size and value would trade it out. I have already resealed the cube myself and have the tank cycling now so we shall see.

Update on the wrasse and puffer: Amazingly they are best friends now.

Now I would like help with suggestions on style, size, and brands for a skimmer on my 55 gal.

And if I haven't overstayed my my welcome on questions... I need to start getting ideas and suggestions on outfitting my 225 gal tank...filter styles and size, how to correctly build a refugium, what kind of sump pumps, how to install plumbing, size and style of skimmers, etc. Going to set it up with LR, LS, and not going to try to keep corals at this point but wouldn't be against them later when I've established the tank and know better how to manipulate water parameters the right way. All help is greatly appreciated as I am pretty much completely lost and overwhelmed on this build.

Urgh, just ran into another complication. I was in the middle of putting my sand, water, and LR into the 28g nano when I had to pack a bag in 5 minutes or less and catch a flight out of town. I got the LS in with the water, but failed to get the salt solution into the tank. Will the system still cycle correctly if I have my wife introduce the salt now (the LR has not been put in yet) and put in the LR . Or do I need to start over with new LS?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom