New to salt 10 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know :) thats what I figure, and since this is my first shot at salt I figure that will be more than enough to enjoy. Plus always room for upgrade then...:)

I really enjoyed my 10 gallon Nano. The foot print is actually fantastic when it comes to Nanos wide yet deep enough for a nice sandy area out front. Cant wait to see some pics!

I am going to start up the tank with in the next week probably. For cycling what all do I need to turn on? Im assuming just heater? or powerhead too? And then once its cycled turn on the lights?

Basically, you would turn on everything except the light. You would want to turn the lights on and get a lighting good schedule going once you get your first fish. Have fun with it!

I figured out the tank is going to be too big if I get that light I originally listed. The tank is 20 inches long. Would a 24 inch light work? or would that hang over too much? BTW I picked up the tank and a power head. Not much of a start but I figured its something and when I get my next paycheck I can finally get some sand, salt, and rocks and let it cycle while i figure out the light situation.

I have been researching possible fish for the tank when the cycles done and figured before I buy anything major I want to know a basic idea of what I want to make sure what I buy will work with my fish after the cycle. I was thinking maybe a yellowhead jawfish. Live aquaria says ten gallons minimum and I was wondering what you guys thought. I know with this I am going to need a deeper sand bed and a specific type of sand too so I was figuring if it was a possibility that I should plan for it when I get the sand. Heres a link:

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Jawfish, Yellowhead

20" 2x40W Satellite PC Fixture by Current USA* - AquaCave

20" 1x96W Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Power Compact Hood - AquaCave

Either of the lights posted above would work. Personally, I would go for the 2x40 Current USA fixture as the bulbs are easier to find, and in most cases less expensive. If you go with either of these, make sure you get the legs. As for fish, I would either go with a pair of clowns, a clown and 2 neon gobies, or a few clown gobies possibly with a clown. Just a few hardy nano fish that would fit into a 10g. Not sure on the jawfish so you will have to get someone else's advice on that. HTH.

Ok thanks. I am hoping jawfish and a clown if possible but I will wait and see what others say. As for those lights, what all can I get coral wise with them?

More $ than I originally expected on paying, but nothing good is cheap. I guess in the end it would be nice not to be limited by coral options. Is there any other real option that would even be worth getting? possibly cheaper? I will spend the money if I have to, but im not sure how much SPS I even plan on keeping, and if there is a cheaper option out there it might be worth it for me. I havent seen many 20 inch lights out there tho..

just an aside, I think Koralia are the propeller types of powerheads? I have the impeller type and was able to put a small piece of a filter in front of the intake and have a little mechanical filtration.

So I tested my levels today got 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10-15 nitrates. It seemed to have cycled pretty fast. Its been about 10 days. (by the way all I did to cycle was add live rock into the tank. I didn't add any other ammonia source) I never even saw a rise in ammonia or nitrite because this is the first time I have tested since I added live rock. Is it actually cycled? And if so, im assuming I am going to have to add an ammonia source to keep it cycled since I wont be getting anything alive until I figure out my light situation. Its between 20" 2x40W Satellite PC Fixture by Current USA* - AquaCave and Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture 2X24W 24 inch Coralife T5 HO

Back
Top Bottom