New to saltwater 20 gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now children that iron is very hot, don't touch it... Mommy I burned my hand by touching the iron... Comes to mind and plays in my head when I think about this lol

image-1187149964.jpg

Just added this hammer head on Friday. Attached it to the rock on Saturday and yesterday the coral started dying. One head bottom left looks like this now as it spread. Any suggestions, the lfs told me to cut that whole head off... Is this advisable? They also give me ReVive coral cleaner to dip it in.

Thanks for the help. Updated pics of my tank to come as I've been adding

Schism said:
Darn i really could have used a funny story >:} lol

I'm really lucky I read this. The same day I picked up some lr and one was crawling on it. If I wouldn't have known I would have grabbed it lol

image-2852344777.jpg

image-1634469466.jpg

Updated pics of the tank everything seems very stable however I have not been able to keep fish... They die after 2-3 days... Is it because I'm not running air or oxygen into the tank like a normal fresh water tank?

So your fish die quickly but corals are fine??

Give us some info. Water tests? Does look like you have much surface agitation.

No you do not need air pumps.

Schism said:
So your fish die quickly but corals are fine??

Give us some info. Water tests? Does look like you have much surface agitation.

No you do not need air pumps.

Water levels are fine... I've tested every 3 or 4 days. Been testing for the norms ph, n02, n03, alkalinity. I have 2 pumps going at the top for water flow. So I have no idea. I tried to keep a firefish and a royal gramma so far an they have died. My shrimps are finally staying alive however and I have not tried to into fish again yet since I got the chiller.

So what were your test results for ammonia and and nitrites?

Hungster said:
Water levels are fine... I've tested every 3 or 4 days. Been testing for the norms ph, n02, n03, alkalinity. I have 2 pumps going at the top for water flow. So I have no idea. I tried to keep a firefish and a royal gramma so far an they have died. My shrimps are finally staying alive however and I have not tried to into fish again yet since I got the chiller.

Exact levels would help, ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Also yes you have 2 pumps up top but the surface should be rolling pretty good in order to oxygenate the tank properly and allow for proper gas exchange.

Why did you get the chiller? Was your water really hot? If so that could explain the deaths.

Schism said:
Exact levels would help, ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Also yes you have 2 pumps up top but the surface should be rolling pretty good in order to oxygenate the tank properly and allow for proper gas exchange.

Why did you get the chiller? Was your water really hot? If so that could explain the deaths.

Okay I will move the pumps up a bit higher. Got a chiller cause my room hits 105 while I am out an water temps would hit 82-87. Ima try 1 cheap fish to see if that would survive after the chiller... Any suggestions on a small hardy fish I can keep? Thanks for the help

Hungster said:
Okay I will move the pumps up a bit higher. Got a chiller cause my room hits 105 while I am out an water temps would hit 82-87. Ima try 1 cheap fish to see if that would survive after the chiller... Any suggestions on a small hardy fish I can keep? Thanks for the help

82-87 could have definitely been the problem. Btw moving your pumps higher and higher wont do much. What i mean is to point one towards the surface.

Try chromis. Cheap and hardy. Wouldnt do damsels. Tomato clowns are usually pretty cheap also, around 10-15 bucks.

Don't do the damsel or chromis.
You'll have to tear your tank apart to get it out, go with the clown.

Zactheninja said:
Don't do the damsel or chromis.
You'll have to tear your tank apart to get it out, go with the clown.

I think chromis are fine for the most part... Id get a chromis. Tomato clowns and damsels can be nasty

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I think chromis are fine for the most part... Id get a chromis. Tomato clowns and damsels can be nasty

Lol, I just remember having to pull apart my entire tank to get my damsel out that I cycled with. Never again.

Zactheninja said:
Lol, I just remember having to pull apart my entire tank to get my damsel out that I cycled with. Never again.

Yes i dont suggest damsels for this reason. Tomatoes can be mean but also hardy and since no other fish in the tank, should be a problem. Thought i would suggest something else a little more exciting then chromis. Chromis are very docile for the most part.

I will do a water test when I get home and post levels and point one of the pumps upward, there are all angled downward. I was thinking a clown or chromis... I hear chromis also can change color when levels are bad? Thanks for all the help everyone!

Okay so test results are in salinity 1.027, alkalinity 9.8, calcium 460, magnesium 1500, phosphate .2, nitrate 1, nitrate 0, ammonia .25. I know my salinity and phosphates are high, I added regular water to it to lower salinity. I bought a false clown the next day I left that post and it is still alive 5 days strong

Back
Top Bottom