new to saltwater 55 gallon set up questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The point is your paying for a lot of pump youre not using, and for the elec. as well. It may not damage the pump with a t and ball but, it costs extra to run without benefit

Any pump worth having will give you the specs straight out, i looked at magdrive pumps cuz they are very popular and highly recommended. If you look at the 9.5 closest to what is being recommended for you by others, its still 800gph at 4ft head height, the extra cost is not worth it to waste imo.

hye coffeetwitch....
JMO, i would definitely go with your idea...have a "tee" with a ball valve to handle the return water...this is the way to avoid mechanical problems...if u add a ball valve to reduce the water going up to DT so that your overflow wont have a problem, this will only give the pump more pressure...other option will be no "tee" and ball valve...juz go ahead with 900gph...and DIY your plumbing so that it can help u to become a powerhead/wavemaker inside the DT....but for sure u need a 600gph overflow....JMO

Those are only what should happen, but in reality the pump won't even pump the 950gph with 0 feet. Anyways, with the t joint, the water goes through the macro algae again so that the water can get the phosphates and nitrates removed. But yeah 900 gph was a rough estimate anyways. An 800 gph pump would probably do well too.

usually with mechanical pieces theoretics are not used, but actual data. I used to be a forklift technician and learned quite a bit about hydraulic systems, whether its water or oil being pumped is not in question but specs are specs and typically if a hydraulic pump claims 950, its going to pump 950.
I agree 750/800 is prob clost to what he is looking for after a 4ft head height, although each pump will react differently to backpressure so it is always good to check the specs, and as I said previously if its worth having there will be a spec sheet on it somewhere, if you cant find one for the pump you want I'd suggest moving on to one that has one.

Last edited:
You can also bypass a skimmer if you do more regular water changes. For example nano aquarist might do a water change weekly since having a skimmer might not be an option due to space.

I would like to use a protien skimmer if its usefull. And i looked at eheim pumps and one is rated at 640 gph. Power useage is rated at 65 watts same as thier 900 gph

I honestly would not get a protein skimmer, or at least not initially. I would just go with the chaeto algae in the refugium and see where it goes from there. If you have nitrates and phosphates then you should definitely get a skimmer. If you don't, then you just saved money.

Here is the pump I got for my system.
Aquarium Water Circulation and Water Pumps: Taam Rio® HyperFlow

I also looked at the mag drives but was unwilling to fork over $150 or more for a pump. lol They do come highly rated though.

My plan is to have a backup return pump since I got a cheaper one. Still will come out less than a mag drive. I already have a pump that'll run a few hundred gph in case of an immediate need though.

As far as a skimmer. I would say wait a bit until everything has come together before adding one. It's a must in my opinion if you plan on keeping corals but for the fish only thing it's just an added bonus to have.

Were you making the sump yourself? This thread has me confused and I forgot what you decided. lol

Either way, I would window shop skimmers now to see their dimensions. You dont' wanna get a sump put together only to find the skimmer you planned on doesn't fit. My skimmer goes in kinda sideways but does actually fit. For the most part anyway. :-D

Hope that helps a bit.

I got my return pump from petsmart lol. It was about the same price as the mag pump of similar gph but was cheaper because of lack of shipping. It was an impulse buy since I was already there returning the s**ty powerhead that broke the day I got it....

Ihad a hard time finding a return pump that was gonna be enough flow. I went with the 1500 gph cause I figured they'd be some pressure loss and I throttle it back anyways. I am looking to get a smaller pump though, I end up throttling back the flow too much sometimes and it seems a waste.

I think im back to making my sump again. After all of everyones input and re reading articles and re watching videos i understand alot more. So for that, thank you all.

And because i know it will eventually have reef in it, i am going to get a protien skimmer. At least that way i can build the refugium to be used with one. I know my wording sounds off but it makes sence in my head. Plus im hoping a 20 gallon long refugium will also support a larger display tank.

And as a update to my post for easy reference... I am turning my 55 gallon into a fowlr tank that will probably down the road turn into a reef with fish tank. I will be making my own refugium. Hopefully i have enough of a grasp of the principles of it to set my baffles up correctly. I am buying the overflow box rated at 600 gph carey recomended. I have not looked at the pump she suggested yet. I will purchace a skimmer so i can have my refugium set up for the one i need for later down the road. Suggestions on brand and model would be helpfull. Then if i havent missed anything i will just need time to collect it all and put it together.

If you get the overflow that is continuous then you will need the aqualifter pump sold in the "deluxe" package. Heres the link again CPR CS90 SIPHON AQUARIUM OVERFLOW BOX by CPR Aquatic - AquaCave

You can get a cheaper overflow but then to start siphon in the tubes you have to suck the air out yourself. The one linked above has no tubes like a typical overflow. Just wanna make sure you understand. :)

Also, I would recommend you look and price out return pumps, I just showed you what I have and use. Might be able to find a better deal on something comparable.

AS far as skimmers, octopus makes a ton of options and are highly regarded. Just get as much skimmer as space and money will let you. Overskimming isnt really an issue, you want all that you can get in the space that you have.

Here is the link to some, it also tells you the footprint of the skimmer so you can be sure it fits.

Reef Octopus DNWB Recirculating Pin Wheel Protein Skimmers
Reef Octopus NWB Needle Wheel Protein Skimmers

Again i cant thank you enough carey. After listening and resurching i like that style of overflow you recomended. And yes i was going to do the delux option for the vacuum pump. The skimmers i was looking at last night where all rated for 100-125 gallon aquariums. octopus. Marineland and vertek?

Oh and i like that you have shown me what you use. It gives me an idea of what can work and direction vs guessing at names that ive never heard of before

Not sure about the marineland, I think they are cheap for a reason. lol I havent looked into the vertek either. :-(

Youre in the right neighborhood with skimmers rated at 100-125g, that will def do the job. You'll proably get the most recommendations for the octopus. Me, I couldnt quite swing the extra money so I went with an eshopps. Is working out for me so far, just having some trouble lately adjusting it after a huge water change I did.

I'd stay away from current IMO. Unless they have upgraded their adjustment knobs, I've been adjusting mine a couple times everyday and still haven't got it dialed in. Its always constantly overowing or underflowing..... Again just my experience

Yeah that's the brand name, they make some good products for other marine equipment, just not their skimmers.... I'm constantly adjusting it

Ah. Ok thank you! Those octopus skimmers are pricey. But. If they are as good as people say they are, i suppose its wurth it. I know ive spent money on my freshwater tanks that could have stayed in my pocket but i am glad i splurged that bit of extra for the functionality.

Back
Top Bottom