New to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S_Hurley said:
Yeah that's what I was thinking, if I'm cycling for 5-6 weeks then ill have plenty of time to buy scenery and such. I definitely want to get some live moving coral. Like the bubble coral and some mushroom coral as well as some torch.

Be careful getting the bubble anemones. If you do get one, get it first. Bubble anemones will move around the tank to find a place they like and if a coral is already in that spot, it will kill it. Colt corals are good alternative to bubble anemones.

PurplePolyp said:
The live rock will also provide the tank with some filter feeders that help keep the tank maintained. Be cautious though. They have bad stuff in them too. I had an aiptasia outbreak a couple months after cycling and had to buy some peppermint shrimp to keep it under control.

Oh cool and not so cool lol, what are aiptasia?

reef lover said:
Where you located ? Later on if you around where I live I can frag some of my coral mushroom and other for you to test it out

I live in Florida, Near Orlando

PurplePolyp said:
My damsel is a demon. He's killed 2 goby's and 8 shrimp. Here is what I'm doing now to try and catch him.

Haha wow that bad?

S_Hurley said:
Oh cool and not so cool lol, what are aiptasia?

Aiptasias are little brown feather duster looking things. Almost like a polyp with long tentacles. They will sting and kill other corals and fish.

PurplePolyp said:
Be careful getting the bubble anemones. If you do get one, get it first. Bubble anemones will move around the tank to find a place they like and if a coral is already in that spot, it will kill it. Colt corals are good alternative to bubble anemones.

Oh wow ok did not know that, I will put it in first if I do that or I will consider the colt corals. I didn't know corals move, the more you know.

PurplePolyp said:
Aiptasias are little brown feather duster looking things. Almost like a polyp with long tentacles. They will sting and kill other corals and fish.

Eww that's not good

PurplePolyp said:

So basically these things grow on live rocks?

S_Hurley said:
Oh wow ok did not know that, I will put it in first if I do that or I will consider the colt corals. I didn't know corals move, the more you know.

Most corals won't move. Mainly the anemones are the only things that move around. Urchins will move too. I just bought a flame scallop last week and he opens and closes his shell to move around the tank. He made himself a bed in the sand but moves around the tank to eat and then comes back to its best.

S_Hurley said:
So basically these things grow on live rocks?

Yes. The live rock is brought in straight from the ocean. So there are hundreds of things living in it. I've identified aiptasia, pineapple sponges, asterina starfish, and tube worms growing from mine, but there is a lot of stuff in there that's growing that I don't know what it is. Most of the stuff is filter feeders and not bad for the tank. And the live rock will provide plenty of bacteria that filters water and also provides food for any starfish, snails, or crabs you might get.

PurplePolyp said:
Most corals won't move. Mainly the anemones are the only things that move around. Urchins will move too. I just bought a flame scallop last week and he opens and closes his shell to move around the tank. He made himself a bed in the sand but moves around the tank to eat and then comes back to its best.

Oh ok good. Wow none of this was in freshwater! I don't think I'll regret the switch. I just want a nice home for the clownfish I hope to get, I'm also going to try to get some "Dories" as Nemo puts it to appeal to my younger siblings.

PurplePolyp said:
Yes. The live rock is brought in straight from the ocean. So there are hundreds of things living in it. I've identified aiptasia, pineapple sponges, asterina starfish, and tube worms growing from mine, but there is a lot of stuff in there that's growing that I don't know what it is. Most of the stuff is filter feeders and not bad for the tank. And the live rock will provide plenty of bacteria that filters water and also provides food for any starfish, snails, or crabs you might get.

Oh awesome! I am considering some starfish as well as some different crabs.

S_Hurley said:
Oh ok good. Wow none of this was in freshwater! I don't think I'll regret the switch. I just want a nice home for the clownfish I hope to get, I'm also going to try to get some "Dories" as Nemo puts it to appeal to my younger siblings.

Clownfish will need an anemone but if you decide not to get one, the clownfish will live in a colt coral or a finger leather coral as well. Like I said, those are great alternatives. If you get a dory fish, also known as a blue tang, you can only get one. They are very territorial towards their own kind.

PurplePolyp said:
Clownfish will need an anemone but if you decide not to get one, the clownfish will live in a colt coral or a finger leather coral as well. Like I said, those are great alternatives. If you get a dory fish, also known as a blue tang, you can only get one. They are very territorial towards their own kind.

Oh alright I will keep that in mind! Now for the schooling fish I was thinking something like a green chromis. I'm not sure but that is just one of many to chose from. What do you think would be a nice one?

S_Hurley said:
Oh awesome! I am considering some starfish as well as some different crabs.

A lot of starfish are unsafe for reefs because they eat coral. The best choices are a sand sifter which you only see every now and then but is good for moving the sand around and a black brittle starfish. I love my black brittle. He's getting big.

image-2075269079.jpg

image-2733139741.jpg

PurplePolyp said:

Just by the way you wouldn't happen to have a YouTube channel would you?

PurplePolyp said:
A lot of starfish are unsafe for reefs because they eat coral. The best choices are a sand sifter which you only see every now and then but is good for moving the sand around and a black brittle starfish. I love my black brittle. He's getting big.

Ok I will probably go with a sand sifter to help out. Better start my list!

S_Hurley said:
Oh alright I will keep that in mind! Now for the schooling fish I was thinking something like a green chromis. I'm not sure but that is just one of many to chose from. What do you think would be a nice one?

I don't know much about chromis. I would recommend getting the green reef other than blue reef. The green ones only grow to half the size so they don't take up as much space in the tank. They are all easy to keep and peaceful tempered.

PurplePolyp said:
I don't have a YouTube channel. I've never thought I had a reason to get one.

Man it would be cool to see all of your setup! If you have a camera you should consider it, you seem very knowledgable like you could make some nice tips and tricks.

Back
Top Bottom