New to shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking about adding red cherry shrimp to my tank. I have let my stock decrease over the last 8 months or so, to where all I have at the moment is 6 neon tetras and a bn pleco. My tank is a 75 gallon lightly planted with Eco complete for substrate. I also have about 3 assasin snails and 3 amano shrimp that I have had for about three years. If I put shrimp in what kind of fish would be good to have with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Small fish like danios and harlequins. RCS are quite small so be sure to give them plenty of hiding places. They may face a challenge with the Amano's as well.

Caleb

Would guppies be to big? I have lots of dw and will be adding more plants. I have been trying to figure my water quality out. My Ph is around 8 at the moment and my kh is at 11 and my gh is 38.2 on my api liquid test kit. I had been trying to add some of my well water and I just don't think it is going to work so I am only using RO water now and will be doing several water changes for a while before adding any shrimp. I will probably start with fish first

Are the parameters you listed for the well water?

Ph is a little high for Cherry shrimp unless you can get them from a local breeder who keeps them in similar water. Not a lfs who orders them in and says yes they are from here. (though they could be from a local breeder. I would double check on the lfs stock and their water parameters to verify what water they are living in.

I kept Cherries with a couple Amano shrimp. Just make sure to give the Amano shrimp wafers that contain meat (not algae wafers only) They get cranky and act crazy if fed veggie only diet.

With your parameters, and the rodi water are you mixing it and you still that high of kh and pH?

I giant DW or several might help.

As for fish, nano fish will likely still eat baby shrimplets. The trick is to get a large enough quantity of shrimp to still be able to breed through the eating of baby shrimp. Sometimes that is fine and sometimes the fish just hunt the little guys till there aren't too many left. Likely not as much of a problem for such a big tank.

Boraras Brigittae aka Chilis and Boraras Merah aka Phoenix, Celestial Pearl Danios (CPD's) also sometimes referred to as Galaxy Rasbora. Check out other threads on nano fish. Just check the pH requirements, as it might take fish a little time to get used to the harder water or they may not be at all suited to the harder water.

You can always use all rodi water and remineralize to your ideal specifications. Seems like a lot of work to keep up with that.

Have you considered Shrimp like Bamboo Shrimp aka Flower Shrimp aka Singapore Shrimp aka Wood Shrimp aka filter feeder shrimp aka Atyopsis moluccensis (LOL) Lots of things they are called.

Need additional info for the water and what parameters it will be kept at to give better selections.

Are the parameters you listed for the well water?

Ph is a little high for Cherry shrimp unless you can get them from a local breeder who keeps them in similar water. Not a lfs who orders them in and says yes they are from here. (though they could be from a local breeder. I would double check on the lfs stock and their water parameters to verify what water they are living in.

I kept Cherries with a couple Amano shrimp. Just make sure to give the Amano shrimp wafers that contain meat (not algae wafers only) They get cranky and act crazy if fed veggie only diet.

With your parameters, and the rodi water are you mixing it and you still that high of kh and pH?

I giant DW or several might help.

As for fish, nano fish will likely still eat baby shrimplets. The trick is to get a large enough quantity of shrimp to still be able to breed through the eating of baby shrimp. Sometimes that is fine and sometimes the fish just hunt the little guys till there aren't too many left. Likely not as much of a problem for such a big tank.

Boraras Brigittae aka Chilis and Boraras Merah aka Phoenix, Celestial Pearl Danios (CPD's) also sometimes referred to as Galaxy Rasbora. Check out other threads on nano fish. Just check the pH requirements, as it might take fish a little time to get used to the harder water or they may not be at all suited to the harder water.

You can always use all rodi water and remineralize to your ideal specifications. Seems like a lot of work to keep up with that.

Have you considered Shrimp like Bamboo Shrimp aka Flower Shrimp aka Singapore Shrimp aka Wood Shrimp aka filter feeder shrimp aka Atyopsis moluccensis (LOL) Lots of things they are called.

Need additional info for the water and what parameters it will be kept at to give better selections.
Thanks that is Ro mixed with well water I will post parameters after a few weeks of water changes and see what it is. I have a bunch of drift wood in my tank. I will be doing a lg water change Monday so I will see what is comes down to..

Hi. I have a 60g tank, mixed community, mainly tetras and Cory's with one bristle nose. I also have in there a few hundred red cherry shrimp. Once the RCS colony established they bred like mad. I now think that the colony number is stable and that the tetras eat sufficient baby shrimps to avoid a RCS explosion. My best tip would be to have masses of moss, especially when trying to get the colony off the ground. The babies need to hide away from the fish, rocks and broad leaf plants don't provide much protection. I tried with 6 shrimp, twice and failed but then bought about 20 from a local breeder and that kick started them off. I occasionally buy the odd shrimp from a LFS if it's colour is outstanding, to improve the blood line. Continuous interbreeding from a small starter stock will eventually result in paler shrimp as they revert towards their natural brown colour.
I keep my tank at 26c, Ph7, Kh6 and Gh6 - if that's of any use.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi. I have a 60g tank, mixed community, mainly tetras and Cory's with one bristle nose. I also have in there a few hundred red cherry shrimp. Once the RCS colony established they bred like mad. I now think that the colony number is stable and that the tetras eat sufficient baby shrimps to avoid a RCS explosion. My best tip would be to have masses of moss, especially when trying to get the colony off the ground. The babies need to hide away from the fish, rocks and broad leaf plants don't provide much protection. I tried with 6 shrimp, twice and failed but then bought about 20 from a local breeder and that kick started them off. I occasionally buy the odd shrimp from a LFS if it's colour is outstanding, to improve the blood line. Continuous interbreeding from a small starter stock will eventually result in paler shrimp as they revert towards their natural brown colour.
I keep my tank at 26c, Ph7, Kh6 and Gh6 - if that's of any use.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Thanks , I am working on getting my water parameters better and restocking my fish and adding more plants, then I will look at buying around 20 or 30 shrimp to add. Thanks I am defiantly appreciating all the info and advice I can get.

Back
Top Bottom