New to site, seeking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missyintx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm Missy. I came across your board and I thought I would check it out. I mainly keep Central and South American cichlids and while I'm not a total newbie, I realize there is still alot to learn.
I have the following: 5" Tiger Oscar, 4.5" Green Terror, 2" & 1.5" Pink Convict, 2" Stripped Convict, 7" Common Pleco, 4" Pictus, 3.5" Raphael, 5 Sumatra Barbs in a 55g.
In 1 30gTall- 3.5" Turquoise Jewel, 3.5" Jack Dempsey, 4" Green Severum, 2- 2.5" Yo-Yo Loaches
In another 30g tall- 11 Angels of various sizes, 1 1.5" Green Severum, 6 zebra danios, 2- .5" plecos
Another 30gTall with 1 dalmation sailfin molly, 1 dalmation lyretail molly, 5 black tetras, 3 bleeding heart tetras, 5 fantail guppies, 2 orange platies, pink gourami, and a chinese algea eater.

and on his own temporarily in a 20 (getting a 75 next month) a 3.5" Jaguar and 3 Yo-yo loaches.
Now, this is what I have a question about. We went to the LFS yesterday to pick up supplies and I saw this beautiful Severum in one of the tanks. They were all baby Sevs, supposedly turquoise, and the largest one in there (maybe 1.5" at best) looked like someone had taken a bite out of the side of his head.
Well, I asked them to sell him to me for 1/2 price and they did. (Paid 2.50 for him) So, I have him now (and he's Green not turquoise) in my 30g with my angels (they range in size from about .5" to about 3.5") and I'm wondering if this will work for the long term?
My bigger Severum is fairly aggressive, but I know they aren't 'supposed' to be very aggressive. Should I look at this as being a short term setup? Or could it potentially work for a longer stretch of time? He seems very friendly and has lightened up and is eating and seems to be getting along with all the angels.
Any thoughts or advice here?
I also added some StressCoat to the tank for him. I'm hoping this will heal the wound without having to stink up the tank with Melafix, think this will work?
Thanks in advance, I look forward to learning from y'all and maybe helping someone else along the way.

You could put some of that freshwater aquarium salt in there for him...that might help. Watch out as the oscar grows. They don't care if they've grown up with smaller tank mates, if a fish fits in it's mouth, it'll eat it!

Thanks Punkymom. We already have a little salt in there so I'm hesitant to add more.

You're welcome...you also might try a salt bath...I don't know, though because I've never had a fish with an injury like that...Probably just keep the water really clean so it doesn't get infected or anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom