New to the aqarium hobby, any advice would be helpful.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swordtaillover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have had a new 18 gallon tank for just under a month and i was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on breeding swordtails. they absalutely fascinate me and i would appreciate any help.

Swordtaillover

my tank has been cycled yes, i have worked out most of the kinks (eg lost fish figured out what is wrong etc) but i really would love to get some swordtail fry so i was just needing to know if there are any easy tips as to how i can as many fry as possible. thanks (i will be getting more swords tommorow so the male to female ratio will be dealt with)

Swordtaillover

Without knowing whether your tank is live planted or has adequate hiding places for the fry, it is hard to tell whether you will be successful. If you don't already have live plants, I would suggest acquiring some guppy grass (najas grass). It is a low light mostly floating plant that will shield some of the fry from hungry adults. Your tank if it is truly 18 gallons is going to be soon overwhelmed by swordtails it that is the only fish in the tank. In reality, you probably can keep no more than 8 adult swords comfortably in tank that size. As far as breeding them, well, they will take care of that without any help.:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom