new to the hobby:p

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to try live bearers sorry if I slaughtered the word but I want to see them give birth to live fry:D exciting I started a thread on ghost shrimp breeding have no clue how to and I want to:D

Watching livebearing fish is interesting. I recall watching guppies giving birth and then immediately spinning around to eat what just came out of them. The little cuties just weren't fast enough to make it down into the fry section of the birth box. I was just about 11 years old so I was pretty grossed out LOL! Every time I see guppies that image pops in my mind. It's been burned there for eternity!:rolleyes:

Are you familiar with all the other live bearing fish? There are quite a few colorful ones.

Lovin Fish said:
Watching livebearing fish is interesting. I recall watching guppies giving birth and then immediately spinning around to eat what just came out of them. The little cuties just weren't fast enough to make it down into the fry section of the birth box. I was just about 11 years old so I was pretty grossed out LOL! Every time I see guppies that image pops in my mind. It's been burned there for eternity!:rolleyes:

Are you familiar with all the other live bearing fish? There are quite a few colorful ones.

I'm new to the hobby so I haven't seen many of them but the thought of it is pretty cool:p I just don't want to over crowd my tank lol:p

I'm new to the hobby so I haven't seen many of them but the thought of it is pretty cool:p I just don't want to over crowd my tank lol:p

Check out these colorful little livebearers (just for fun!) Endlers Livebearer, Guppy & Humpbacked Limia. Some other cool ones that are fun to look at are the halfbeak, orange tailed goodeid and montezuma swordtail.

If you want to aviod being over stocked, you could upgrade to a 30 gallon tank for your Mollies, and only keep 4, giving some leg-room (fin-room ;)) for babies. Or you could exchange the Molly for a smaller fish of similar appearance; The Platy. It only gets up to 1.5" and it is a livebearer. The minimum tank size for a shoal of platys is 20 gallons.

Definetely you will need another tank though; called a "grow out" tank. I have not bred fish myself, but have read about others doing it. They have the breeders in a tank, and after the babies are born, they move the parents to another tank to allow the fry to grow, so that all the fry don't get gobbled up by their parents :rolleyes:

Lovin Fish said:
Check out these colorful little livebearers (just for fun!) Endlers Livebearer, Guppy & Humpbacked Limia. Some other cool ones that are fun to look at are the halfbeak, orange tailed goodeid and montezuma swordtail.

If you want to aviod being over stocked, you could upgrade to a 30 gallon tank for your Mollies, and only keep 4, giving some leg-room (fin-room ;)) for babies. Or you could exchange the Molly for a smaller fish of similar appearance; The Platy. It only gets up to 1.5" and it is a livebearer. The minimum tank size for a shoal of platys is 20 gallons.

Definetely you will need another tank though; called a "grow out" tank. I have not bred fish myself, but have read about others doing it. They have the breeders in a tank, and after the babies are born, they move the parents to another tank to allow the fry to grow, so that all the fry don't get gobbled up by their parents :rolleyes:

I was thinking about getting a breeder box so they can hide in it and ill check some of them out:) I want to get 55 gal but no room for it until I move:/ my dream build is a saltwater 150 gal ± with bamboo sharks:) and maybe a ray or two:)

I was thinking about getting a breeder box so they can hide in it and ill check some of them out:) I want to get 55 gal but no room for it until I move:/ my dream build is a saltwater 150 gal ± with bamboo sharks:) and maybe a ray or two:)

That will be cool! Your dream tank ;) I love saltwater but an too broke to have one :rolleyes: One day :brows:

Lovin Fish said:
That will be cool! Your dream tank ;) I love saltwater but an too broke to have one :rolleyes: One day :brows:

I was told my tank set up can be used for salt water also:D and I think I figured out why my Molly is coming out of his shell and exploring I was told water out here is hard as a rock so that would make it brackish water am I correct?

I am not 100 % sure on this question. I know hard water occurs due to high levels of calcium and magnesium, as well as iron. It has something to do with the dissolved salts from these minerals. But, I really don't know if hard water is in fact brackish. I know that brackish tanks require hard water to function, and just by adding the salt the gravity changes and the water is "harder".

Hopefully someone else with experience in brackish will post an accurate answer for you. I'd like to know too ;)

Lovin Fish said:
I am not 100 % sure on this question. I know hard water occurs due to high levels of calcium and magnesium, as well as iron. It has something to do with the dissolved salts from these minerals. But, I really don't know if hard water is in fact brackish. I know that brackish tanks require hard water to function, and just by adding the salt the gravity changes and the water is "harder".

Hopefully someone else with experience in brackish will post an accurate answer for you. I'd like to know too ;)

Yeah my Molly is loving it up tho:) so I'm happy still no test yet:/ I'm taking its not bad cause they all love it now

Lovin Fish said:
Well that is great that they are happy campers! So you've been performing the pwc's?

Started yesterday:) and after I do one they are happy with the gravel clean I had to skip one tonight:/ but ill start back up tomorrow :)

Okay good. I knew you did the one and had fun with it. Just wasn't sure if you were doing it daily.

Lovin Fish said:
Okay good. I knew you did the one and had fun with it. Just wasn't sure if you were doing it daily.

Ill try and do them daily how long should I let the declhorinater sit in the water till I can pour it in?

johnhartigan said:
Oh wow I thought you had to wait like a hour or so till you can pour the newly declorinated water in the tank:p

"instant" :-D
Otherwise it would take CENTURIES to fill my 29g with a 3g bucket!

"instant" :-D
Otherwise it would take CENTURIES to fill my 29g with a 3g bucket!

Thank goodness it doesn't ake that long! I would not like doing pwc in that case. Also, the water temp would lower from what you originally tried to match it to the tank temp.

Lovin Fish said:
Thank goodness it doesn't ake that long! I would not like doing pwc in that case. Also, the water temp would lower from what you originally tried to match it to the tank temp.

I would have a 5g betta tank ONLY and doing 65% PWC LOL

I would have a 5g betta tank ONLY and doing 65% PWC LOL

Ha Ha! I hate betta bowl maintenance as is and cleaning the 5 gallon is dreaded. I prefer the bigger tanks...20 gallons and up are much easier IMO to preform pwc. :)

Lovin Fish said:

Oh thank God haha I was told I had to let it sit, maybe I shouldn't listen to my lfs:/ except there's one Guy there that's pretty knowledgeable he has a tottal of 400 gallons of freshwater tanks in his living room:p

Back
Top Bottom