New to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rampersandall

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently snagged my first "real" tank from of those petsmart sales. Nothing extraordinary. 29 gallon.

Just have a dwarf guarami and some snails in a 6.5 gallon currently.

Learning a LOT lately and it's giving me just as many questions as answers tbh.

My fish is aggressive. Maybe it's territory. Maybe I had the wrong setup. My guarami attacked and killed every other fish I tried to put in the 6.5 with him. Guppies, pleco's, and a molly. Could be tank size. Lack of places for him to hide.

I could have the water setup all wrong for his breed. My 6.5 is a touch over 70°, the water has never been changed. The ph levels have never been checked.

So anyway. This new 29gal I have. I believe I want to get an electric blue acara. From what I read the minimum tank size for one is 29, and they are "beginner" fish.

Does that mean I shouldn't put any schools of say tetras or a couple loaches in there with him?

If I put the dwarf guarami in there will he still fight other fish, even with the proper tank setup and plenty of real estate and hiding places for him?

Would love some beginner tips. Plan to use the 6.5 in the future as quarantine. May just leave the guarami in there to himself if we wont be a buddy.

I recently had to re home my pink kissing Gourami because he got too aggressive and was chasing everything. In a 75 gallon tank, should have been plent of space. I still have a gold Gourami and 2 baby Honey Gourami in the tank with some tiger barbs, danios, clown loach and pleco. Since re homing Tigers have come out of hiding, the danios are zipping everywhere. My Gould Gourami has had zero aggression problems since I’ve had him. Never had a dwarf Gourami, but it’s my understanding the two more peaceful ones are Honey and Blue Gourami. Had someone once mention water parameters can be a root cause of their aggression, if the water is a bit off they become super po’d. But I’m far from an expert.

Back
Top Bottom