New to this stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Supplies are so much cheaper if you buy them online. I shop at Big Al's Online, Drs Foster and Smith, and That Pet Place.

I have this 250w heater for my 55g. I like this brand alot. It is very reliable and blends in nicely with a black background.

I personally think this Aquaclear 110 filter would be a good upgrade, if you get the Walmart kit. A cannister filter would be better, but if you are tight on money after buying the tank, this filter will be good. I have all Aquaclear HOB filters on my tanks...they are great!

Good luck! Hopefully you can get a used tank....for cheap or even free! I bought my first 55g new and spent so much money! I could have saved alot if I had known to look in the classifieds of the newspaper! Atleast you know someone who might have a tank so maybe they'll give you a deal or even a freebie.

I bought that kit from Wal-Mart. It's okay but I basically doubled everything when I got it...Then even upgraded from there...

I'll be honest. Buying that kit was a mistake. I had to end up getting a second heater, and getting an xP2 canister filter...I could have saved money if I would have just done that in the first place.

I foudn one at the lfs and it was 179 and came with alittle better stuff, including a 200w heater which i hope is alittle better, and it has a whisper 60 filter, i will probably upgrade to the 110 soon, but will be sufficient for alittle i hope, then i would have an extra decent filter if anything ever happend. Does this one sound any better, i think the lights were around 200 not sure hotuhg didnt pay attention. But hopefully that is good.

Also 2 other questions, can i start to cycle a tank before i have the rocks at the bottom.
and
what test kit did you guys tell me was the best, it was the all in one test kit.
thanks
Mitch

The Aquarium Pharmacueticals Freshwater Master test kit is the one recommended most. It will have everything you need. The all in one strips are not very accurate. Get the kit online it will save you a lot of money.

Yes you can start you fishless cycle without gravel. As matter of fact gravel is not needed if you like the bare bottom look, I don't but some folks do.

when it comes time to put the gravel into my cycled or cycling tank is there anything i need to do to it before i put it in the tank, and/or will it effect the tanks levels at all?
also whats the best way to clean out a tank that has been given to me, covered in qutie a few years of dust and dirt.

Wash the gravel....just to keep the small stuff from clouding the water.It won't change the water quality,

As far as cleaning an old tank there are many plans with vineger or baking soda or both....me...I just get get a plastic chem free scrubby pad (chaep anywhere)and turn the hose on and go to work.When I think its done I do it twice more.

Back
Top Bottom