New to this?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madcurlyq

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've never had a saltwater tank, only freshwater and I want to do a mini reef. Maybe 2 or 3 fish but i have a lot of questions like whats the smallest i can go?

I just replied to another newbie, you may find some of it useful... I've pasted it below. As far as a reef tank you can go very small (pico, nano), I would suggest setting up a fish only tank for a few months to get used to a SW tank and make sure it goes well before adding corals. Plan well and make sure you start with reef safe fish and reef capable lighting as you intend on getting corals. Do your research and be patient and you will get much better results.

"I will say that the smaller the tank, the more difficult it is, especially for a beginner. But im sure if you do your research and maintain it well you can do it. I would say get a 20-30g from craigslist, it will be less maintenance and allow for much more of a selection when it comes to fish.

Make sure you have a good test kit, most recommend the API liquid kits.

Do some research on fishless cycling, and take your time with it, patience is key with a saltwater tank.

For lighting make sure you go for 10000k light color or above. Check out my thread on cheap LEDs, for a 10g you could get a 10w 12000k LED flood light on eBay for $30, there cheap, look great, and capable of growing corals should you want to once you have mastered your first FOWLR.

Also do your research and plan a stocking list before you buy any fish, never trust the guy at the pet store! Lots of newbies to SW buy lots of little damsels, tangs, clownfish etc then realize they grow way to big for their tank. To be safe you should put your stocking list on here before buying them, that way you don't kill a fish, or waste your money. Also fish compatibility Is very important, lots of SW fish eat other SW fish!

Water movement is essential, get a couple of small power-heads (maxi-jets, koralia etc), you don't want any stagnant water, you want lots of flow!"

Back
Top Bottom