New update on discus babies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
About just under a year ago. I posted that i had my discus lay eggs.
Well after that long of getting organized and fighting with my dumb pair no luck with the eggs, which were getting eating and they were fertilized.
So about a month or so ago. I dumped the female back in the main tank where i gave up on all hope for her. And moved my lone female from the main tank in the breeding tank.
Well the old female lays every week with another male and always eats them still. (dont think she will ever learn)
And the other female and male took about 3-4 weeks to bond and start laying.
The eggs are fertilized and she is a great mom but still no luck for the last 4 times of eggs.

Well this morning i went downstairs to do my morning light turn on and look in the tanks.
The lights in the one bedroom were out and there is no tank lights. So not knowing any better i took the flashlight and My Apisto triple reds were gaurding a bunch of wigglers. YAY.
Still not the point.
I went into my actual fish room, where i turned on everyones lights.
And i noticed that a few of my discus eggs were fungsy and not gone. Its been a while since they stayed in the tank.
Well upon closer inspection. SOME OF THE EGGS ARE WIGGLERS NOW.
NOW IM SO HAPPY. lol
The end. :D :D :D

Sorry i never noticed anyone replied.

Those wigglers did not make it, but it was their first time.
small tiny batch.

They since have laid again. Got wigglers and now are 2 days free swimming
only about half a dozen.
Still trying to figure it out what is causing it all.

Attachments

• dad1_133.jpg
    dad1_133.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 40
Nope nothing yet.
Just a normal filter, heater. I got gravel and everything in there. LOL

I felt bad for the original female who wasn't herself when we put her in there for about 2 months. so i gave her a tree and gravel to feel comfortable.

Didn't plan on making it this far that soon, so i left everything.
Was very unprepared.
After they ate the wigglers, i also planned on removing the gravel. Planned a water change the second day after they ate the wigglers.
But when i went down there to do it they had already started laying eggs.
:bad-words:

So i ended up doing the water change while they were laying eggs.

Hopefully this batch will make it, get a sponge prefilter for the intake to save the wrigglers from being sucked up.

I have a piece of sponge around it. so hopefully that works for now.
I was under the impression that if the parents didn't enough babies they would eat them.
But apparently that isn't the case.
They are still there annoying the parents. lol.
Will keep you updated.

New update
Fry are about 5 days free swimming...
Went to turn on the lights in my other fish tanks,
Well saw the parents guarding and new clutch of eggs, Thought the babies were gone.
Went up and the babies were feeding off the parents while they were guarding the eggs.

Pretty neat to watch.
Heres a couple pictures of the free swimming babies.
MOM-
img_811253_0_8570bf2b5223d3fbfa0959f265d203cf.jpg

img_811253_1_b63e50225834497353734eb6631d2066.jpg

img_811253_2_e78a6ac4a4bc371a1ed8c81a96d823e9.jpg

Aww they are so cute. How in the world did you manage to get pics of the babies? Whenever I try and get pics of fry they zoom off.

It took a while, and some patients added with the babies wondering what i am and the parents wanting food.

They are constantly coming to the front of the glass when i come around to visit. Its cute.

I'm not experienced with discus but are the parents a red melon and a blue turq? Also, how do you sex them?

i am hoping that some the babies will be orange with dad's markings, its just intense his color and lines.
I think the babies would be awesome if they did

I think its a percentage will be like mom , some like dad, then some mixed with both not sure.
I'm not sure on the ratio's on doing something that.

I love your pictures. It really gives us a comparison of the size of the babies. I hope to see more pictures as they grow.

Here are some of the babies at 9 days free swimming,

Notice the one we call fatso, he is so big and round compared to the others hes cute, and you will notice that they are starting to shape out more.
img_811990_0_a9bb41d0ac94c692af350eb94c148392.jpg

img_811990_1_e742dd322ce42416e7dd06c98906dcb7.jpg

img_811990_2_b3b673713069720393072ab88db17c77.jpg

LOL I absolutely love their shape. They look quite a bit different at this stage than my GBR fry did at that age. The discus fry appear to be taking the more round shape already.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom