New with a couple of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rilock4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I am new to keeping fish and I have a couple of questions about my tank.

First off, I am doing a fish in cycle on a 10 gallon tank with 4 Glofish and I started this tank on Saturday May 4. I put the fish in on Monday. I have been doing a 25% water change in the morning and a 50% water change in the evening and using Aqua Safe Plus for the conditioner. I am using test strips and testing twice a day and some days more. The ammonia readings are coming up with 0 and twice it came up with .25. My nitrates and Nitrites have been 0 except for 1 test that showed my nitrates at 20. I was expecting to see number spikes, should I have or is my tank just doing its thing?

When my tank is cycled I want to add more fish to my tank. I wanted to add 2 more Glofish making their total 6. I was also thinking of getting a small bottom feeding catfish, but was not sure on how this would work or which kind. If the catfish doesn't work I am looking for a fish that has bright colors to go along with the Glofish.

Lastly, I was wondering if there is a double bulb lighting system that has a daytime light and a blue or black light? It is becoming a hassle to take off my day time light when I want to turn on my blue light to look at my fish glow.

Thanks in advance for your help

I ordered a T5HO aquarium light on eBay that has a white light and a blue light. It was approximately 35-40 bucks, might be cheaper for a smaller tank, and it works great :)

Seeing nitrates before seeing nitrites doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Its my understanding that those test strips aren't all that reliable, so maybe thats why you had an unexplained 20ppm nitrate reading. If youre able to, then get one of the liquid test kits. They are supposed to be way more accurate. Ive only ever used the API Master Test Kit, so I cant offer up a personal comparison. They run about $30 in the stores and cheaper online.

I would recommend only doing PWCs when you get ammonia and/or nitrite readings of .25 or greater.

Back
Top Bottom