New World 55 Gallon Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I got a new 55 gallon I'm currently cleaning out and plan to stock it with some new world cichlids but I keep getting mixed info on proper fish to stock my 55 gal with. I was thinking green terror or jack dempsey (even the electric blue) and some tankmates. I'm opened to any other ideas.

Do any of you think a GT or JD will be too small for a 55? I'm leaning towards single wet pet or 2 to 3 cichlid with a cat.

Jd will get almost 12 inches or larger .. To big for a 55 gal.. I suggest a gold severum a few black convicts and firemouths with pleco or 2.. Here are mine

Attachments

• image-1071006361.jpg
    image-1071006361.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 138
  • image-2481314410.jpg
    image-2481314410.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1110160251.jpg
    image-1110160251.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 117
GreenTerrorNoob said:
Jd will get almost 12 inches or larger .. To big for a 55 gal.. I suggest a gold severum a few black convicts and firemouths with pleco or 2.. Here are mine

I like convicts and I really like your firemouth. Severum have never really been the top of my list. How about Green Terrors some say 6-8 inches others 10-12 inches same with jacks but also heard electric blue jacks are smaller?

I'd stick to species slightly smaller, 55g is a good size tank - but once your JD is up in size it will be very cramped for the rest of the tank mates and Green Terrors get there name for a very good reason, really limits what else you can put in. I'd stick to Firemouth sized fish, like Sajica's, Rainbows etc.

JD's get to 8-10 inches and not 12. Green Terrors are normally around 10 inches.

I have a JD and Green Terror in a 63 gallon tank. I think you would be OK with both in a 55 but wouldn't go with anything else. Jack Dempseys and Green Terrors are awesome fish.

chew valley said:
JD's get to 8-10 inches and not 12. Green Terrors are normally around 10 inches.

I have a JD and Green Terror in a 63 gallon tank. I think you would be OK with both in a 55 but wouldn't go with anything else. Jack Dempseys and Green Terrors are awesome fish.

I've had my GTs reach 12" in my 180 & JDs can get 10+"
I wouldn't keep them in a 55

Yea thats really pushing it I would say u could get away with one or the other but that's even not very accommodating

Well I if I get a GT or Jack he will most likely be single speices tank. I'm well aware of there aggressive behavior part of why I like them both.

rocksor said:
Nandopsis grammodes

Mini Dovii I like that idea too. Thanks for the input I'll consider it. Also I thought they're name changed too cichlidsoma or however you spell it.

cichlasoma , ex-cichlasoma, nandopsis..... I can't keep track :lol:

RAH said:
Well I if I get a GT or Jack he will most likely be single speices tank. I'm well aware of there aggressive behavior part of why I like them both.

I have them together since they were less then an inch long, they are fine but a bigger tank is needed hands down.

rocksor said:
cichlasoma , ex-cichlasoma, nandopsis..... I can't keep track :lol:

I only know cause I was corrected once. But will one fit in 55 gallon?

A lot of people have had success keeping a JD with a GT. You have a good chance of it working out if they are both in the tank as juveniles.

chew valley said:
A lot of people have had success keeping a JD with a GT. You have a good chance of it working out if they are both in the tank as juveniles.

I been told that before. In a 55, they won't be to crowded?

If you type the name into fish base it will give you the correct classification. I want to say its Cichlasoma grammodes currently.

Back
Top Bottom