Newbie at live plants plus alot if questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay I have a 75 gallon with no decorations and no fish. All I have in the tank is natural colored gravel. My filters are 2 tetra whisper ex 70's and a sunsun canister providing about 220 gallons of filtration. Now I'm looking into live plants for the first time ever. Now I want a heavily planted tank with plants that grow high and low. And I also want moss. Any reccomendations? I want moss covering most of the bottom floor and heavily planted plants in the back and sides. The picture below is something kind of what I'm looking for -

Attachments

• 2013-12-22-15-28-44--1617205874.jpeg
    2013-12-22-15-28-44--1617205874.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 217
*rubs hands*

Alright, I'm by no means a planted tank expert but I will help you out best I can.

To have a successful planted tank you should have three things:
•Good light
•Fertilizers
•co2 or a carbon source

•For light, I would get a T5HO (high output) light fixture. If you do a two bulb fixture, with good quality bulbs that will put you at medium-high light. With a four bulb fixture, that will put you at high light and you will be able to grow pretty much anything your heart may desire. If you have never kept planted tanks before, I would start with a dual fixture. If you want to down the road, you could add another.

•Fertilizers come in liquid, dry, and tablet form. Liquid ferts are easy to use, but not very cost effective after a while. They also aren't very customizable. A lot of people, like me, use dry ferts. You pretty much buy some, they are kinda like powder, and mix a certain amount in water and either dose once a week (EI dosing) or everyday (PPS-PRO dosing). EI gives you more ferts than you need, so you have to do 50% water changes every week. PPS-PRO is more customizable, and cheaper in the long run as you dose everyday, exactly what the plants need. Ferts also come in tab form that you push under the substrate. These are used for heavy root feeders like swords, crypts and ferns.

•Co2. There is a minimal amount of co2 in the water column, so in order to boost plant growth (and some plants won't even grow without it) you should add co2, or at least a liquid carbon source like glute (metricide 14). Pressurized co2 works better, but getting started can be expensive. Liquid carbon is cheaper, you need to dose it everyday, and can be more expensive over the long run, but a lot of people chose it over pressurized co2.

Lastly, you should have a good substrate like Eco complete, aqua soil, or even organic potting mix capped with sand. You can use plain gravel, but the plants will grow better in a plant specific substrate.

Hopefully this helps, ask if you have questions :)

I only had a dual t-5 ho light setup and basically grew anything without much extra care for about six months.you can get them for cheap and are a great first light fixture. i will say though that co2 and dryferts make a ugh difference though in terms of plant health. once you go live plants you will never want to o back! they're like a whole new hobby! A hobby within a Hobby!

Really? Wow seems like a passion for some people. Well I can't wait to get started :)

Wow well now I can't wait to get started! Well actually I have 1 more question. What substrate do I use?? I've thought about FloraMax but I read bad reviews about it then I considered Eco Earth then found out it was $30 and I was like no way, so I have no idea on substrate.

Wow well now I can't wait to get started! Well actually I have 1 more question. What substrate do I use?? I've thought about FloraMax but I read bad reviews about it then I considered Eco Earth then found out it was $30 and I was like no way, so I have no idea on substrate.

I have flora max. It's pretty much just crushed lava rock. If you like sand, you can get a 50lb bag of Mirical Grow Organic Potting Mix (had to be that stuff) and a 50lb bag of pool filter sand of black diamond sand. Cheaper way to go but still works well. Eco complete is great, but yes it's expensive. I can't wait to try it out on my next tank (high tech planted rimless, check out my build thread!)

I am having excellent success using both blasting sand and a dirted tank with Pfs cap. You don't need to shell out the cash for the expensive plant substrates to have a nicely planted tank. You will however need to add more root tabs with a plain sand substrate.

Other than that Scotty pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything.

Realistically, a tank like that takes years (5-10+) to accomplish. When I first started I wanted a tank like that too, so I bought a bunch of fast growing plants and it was awesome at first. -WRONG- decision. Before you know it, you have a tank full of plants that is constantly over growing and causing a mess. It was extremely hard to keep up on. The tanks that look as good as the one you have pictured are works in progress. You can spend thousands of dollars (if you have the money) to get pre-grown carpets, but it still won't look natural for some time, especially if you want rocks and driftwood grown in.

My biggest piece of advice that I wish I would have gotten is -PATIENCE-. If you experiment with CO2 and fertilizer you will also experience algae blooms -
Some which will be easy, some which will be extremely frustrating, and some which may be detrimental to some of your plants.

While fast growing plants are fun because you can have a full tank before you know it- They are extremely frustrating to sustain in the long run. They are good to start out with because is you accidentally mess them up, they grow back before no time - but don't expect the tank you see in your picture.

Also, some plants are messy and grow erratic, "shed" a lot, or just don't work out like you thought they would. Mosses are more difficult than they look, especially mosses like Java. Make sure you read up on learning how to carpet moss or attach them to driftwood etc, or chunks will be floating around your tank and clogging up your filters.

Have fun!

I wouldn't completely shy away from fast growing plants... Yes, they do take a lot more work to keep them pruned and under control, but if you have a LFS that's willing to buy your trimmings it can turn into a way to pay for aquarium supplies. If you're willing to put in the work it's very worthwhile. Since moss is slow growing and doesn't need much light you could start with fast growing plants around the background area and use that to keep the tank from looking "barren" while the moss slowly grows it's way in on the areas you want carpeted.

For successfull aquarium, you need good lights, like T5HOs or high output LED system. You also need CO2 supplement, I recommand pressurized system on the long run.

You'll need ferts and a good knowing on how to dose them (ratios, etc)

For the carpeting plant you're talking about, it's HC (or hemianthus callitrichoides).

My hygrophilia difformis grow at an absurd rate with my hightech setup, I have to cut everything each month, or it overwhelm my tank fast.

For filtration, I highly recommand canister filters, they prevent the degazification of the CO2, and can be used for CO2 reaction. In my case I have Eheim 2213, I inject with a ceramic diffuser into the filter intake. 100% dissolved.
Before, I had a HOB Fluval C3. I was unable to turn my blue drop checker into green. Now I can turn it yellow and I'm sure I can easily turn it red (fatal doses for fishs).

I recommand a plant trimming kit (At least a aquarium scisors and a long tong).

I started 6 month ago in hightech planted tank without any knowledge. It cost me around 1500$ for all equipements. Fish and plants not included, and my 29g wide look like this:
781574DSC04588.jpg

Tips: New plants can carry diseases, snails and other infections. I will recommand you QT plants, or you treat them with peroxide before you introduce them. Especially if you don't like snails. Take fishs that don't eat plants. If you plan a HC carpet and siamensis as cleaning crew, wait your HC is rooted and growing fine before adding siamensis, you'll find much HC floating and need to reroot it again.

Here a descriptions of the plants I used:

830000details.jpg

Red: Java fern glued with cyanocrylate on a wood (krazy glue, super glue...)
Pink: Java Moss glues to lava rocks. You can glue it on anything.
Green: Cryptorynes in the background corner
Purple: Unknown plant
Brown: Valiniserias gigantas
Blue: Hygrophilia Difformis
Orange: That's the HC. It took 6 month for it to look like this.

The grass on the front is Dwarf Hair Grass or DFG.

[...] " while the moss slowly grows it's way in on the areas you want carpeted.

I glues some tiny frag of moss on my lava rock, and now this moss is like an infestations, there's moss everywhere in my tank. I manually need to flush them.

I glues some tiny frag of moss on my lava rock, and now this moss is like an infestations, there's moss everywhere in my tank. I manually need to flush them.

I guess it depends on your tank parameters and moss type then. I have Fissidens Fontanus (AKA Phoenix Moss) which I've been trying to grow all over a lava rock ridge and it has been very slow to grow out. It's firmly attached to the initial rock and is very healthy, but it's only grown about a half inch wider in every direction over the last 2 months.

I guess it depends on your tank parameters and moss type then. I have Fissidens Fontanus (AKA Phoenix Moss) which I've been trying to grow all over a lava rock ridge and it has been very slow to grow out. It's firmly attached to the initial rock and is very healthy, but it's only grown about a half inch wider in every direction over the last 2 months.

I never identified the specific brand (race, species?) of my moss. I just know it grow under low light (I throw the excedent in my lowtech 10g and still alive) and it grow fast under highlight.

I did just glued tiny frag, now the rock is almost covered, and some parts detach and go grow somewhere else with the current.

I don't use CO2 and have a very successful and healthy tank. I don't think any tank under 50g requires CO2 unless you have plants that are other than green. For whatever reason, it seems like reds and purples need CO2 to really flourish. Not saying a CO2 is unnecessary... It's just a large cost for a beginner that you don't need right away.

I don't use CO2 and have a very successful and healthy tank. I don't think any tank under 50g requires CO2 unless you have plants that are other than green. For whatever reason, it seems like reds and purples need CO2 to really flourish. Not saying a CO2 is unnecessary... It's just a large cost for a beginner that you don't need right away.

I find that its the light level rather than the tank size that dictates co2 need. The higher light is going to need acceptable co2 levels to stave off algae growth.

I can use my CO2 from my 29g for a 100g if I want, but anyway, my 29g is so beautifull with CO2 that I don't regret my 400$ purchase.

Back
Top Bottom